Discuss British Gas and their fascination with Power Flush... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asadm

Let me start by expressing that I am a complete layman when it comes to plumbing but am in need of some professional advice. I have had a British Gas (BG)Maintenance Plan for almost 4 years and as part of this they are responsible for the annual maintenance/Service of my system. I recently encountered an issue with my system and when I called upon BG, they advised me that my system has sludge and they do not cover that as part of their contract and I can pay them £600 to have this removed through a Power Flush. I then sought independent advice and have arrived at the conclusion that the reason for this sludge is due to corrosion of the system (seems like a natural reaction when water, iron and air are mixed). I understand that this can be prevented through an annual system drain down and application of inhibitor. It can be further improved by the use of magnetic filters. I stressed to BG that this has neither ever been carried out by BG or advised to me. BG responded by stating that this is not part of their routine service policies.

In conclusion, I feel that it is unacceptable that I am being charged a premium amount for the maintenance of my system by a reputable company such as BG and yet this has never been carried out or deemed necessary. Not including this step for many years will inevitably lead to sludge in my opinion, which BG then subsequently demand a exorbitant amount to resolve. If my assumptions are true then surely the sludge is due to negligence on the part of BG. Can you please help me with this by clarifying whether I have a case to pursue against BG in this situation and whether this is an issue of their making? Appreciate your help with this.

No case, BG will have it well covered in the 'small print'. Get a price off your independant for the installation of a centramag filter.

Thanks SimonG but isn't it a case of reasonableness especially when it goes beyond BG to a regulator or even the courts and on this basis isn't the draindown and inhibitor a reasonable part of any service? Also, without inhibitor isn't it just a recipe to result in sludge? Incidentally, I have now had it Power Flushed and a magnet filter fitted by a local plumber

Unless the system is already clean, adding inhibitor won't help.

I reported that my heating was very weak and the hot water was intermittent. As a result of the Power Flush that I have now done, everything is operational again.

yes, but isn't that the point. The system wasn't clean because it hasn't been maintained and as a customer I would have expected this as part of the service I am paying for.

BG just released their annual profits. There is a reason they make so much. The service contract they sold you will be tied up tight, if they had said at the start you should have a power flush to qualify would you have purchased the maintenance contract?
If homeowners put the money paid to BG in a high interest account after taking a (proper) service and any maintenance into account, most if them would have money left over.

As it happens, I had a new boiler installed, follow by a Power Flush and then in came my stupidity and with it the start of the BG contract. I appreciate your point on their T&C's but on a point of reasonableness, is it acceptable to exclude drain down and inhibitor from an annual service? Or is this for instance unheard of when it comes to the maintenance of a system. Not knowing CH systems, I don't have a sense for the gravity of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas and their fascination with Power Flush... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My Mother-in-law was quoted £1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4...
Replies
Views
Just been to a nightmare of a job! Had to carry out a service on the 2009 British Gas 330 + (GC: 41-019-11) It's a Glow Worm boiler. The boiler...
Replies
Views
Had a quote for a new boiler installation. Quote said... Power Flush require and install new boiler, ==== After the boiler was started, it was...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally...
Replies
Views
Hi All This is following on from thread I made a few days ago but can't seem to find I'm in a bit of a bind with my CH design where I want to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock