Currently reading:
British Gas and their fascination with Power Flush...

Discuss British Gas and their fascination with Power Flush... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

asadm

Let me start by expressing that I am a complete layman when it comes to plumbing but am in need of some professional advice. I have had a British Gas (BG)Maintenance Plan for almost 4 years and as part of this they are responsible for the annual maintenance/Service of my system. I recently encountered an issue with my system and when I called upon BG, they advised me that my system has sludge and they do not cover that as part of their contract and I can pay them £600 to have this removed through a Power Flush. I then sought independent advice and have arrived at the conclusion that the reason for this sludge is due to corrosion of the system (seems like a natural reaction when water, iron and air are mixed). I understand that this can be prevented through an annual system drain down and application of inhibitor. It can be further improved by the use of magnetic filters. I stressed to BG that this has neither ever been carried out by BG or advised to me. BG responded by stating that this is not part of their routine service policies.

In conclusion, I feel that it is unacceptable that I am being charged a premium amount for the maintenance of my system by a reputable company such as BG and yet this has never been carried out or deemed necessary. Not including this step for many years will inevitably lead to sludge in my opinion, which BG then subsequently demand a exorbitant amount to resolve. If my assumptions are true then surely the sludge is due to negligence on the part of BG. Can you please help me with this by clarifying whether I have a case to pursue against BG in this situation and whether this is an issue of their making? Appreciate your help with this.

British Gas (BG)Maintenance Plan...have read similar posts

wriggle out clause is similar to "water not included"

(Reminded me of Xmas toys- without Batteries + Message on Box)

I agree with Tom. Service contracts are a numbers game and a big risk to independents. Spending a Saturday afternoon in the bookies betting favourites with your weekly takings would probably give you better odds of surviving.

villa_tom;448472would you really keep changing pump after pump on a system if you knew that it was sludge or a system defect making the pump fail?? I doubt you would.[/QUOTE said:
Rather than put a plaster on it i'd fix the underlying problem.

BG do a system check, including a water check, before they accept the system on contract.

They advertise that the contract includes a service, but just do a gas check - 20 minutes and they're gone.

Money for old rope.

I agree with Tom. Service contracts are a numbers game and a big risk to independents. Spending a Saturday afternoon in the bookies betting favourites with your weekly takings would probably give you better odds of surviving.

I agree with this. Some years ago we (family business) were asked if we could provide this sort of thing for a local housing association for around 500 properties. They were after an all singing all dancing contract that covered all CH repairs. We looked at what had been spent on maintaining the systems over the previous couple of years and found a couple that had cost over a grand to put right. You only need one of those to lose all of the profit on a small contract. Service contracts are a numbers game to spread the risk and you've got to tie it down really tight to avoid the expensive calls. You then end up being more expensive than BG for the same poor cover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to British Gas and their fascination with Power Flush... in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock