Discuss Bristan easy fit taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Might be worth bringing it to the attention of "Which" they like things like that or "Watchdog" or similar, Wonder if you wrote a letter to one of the plumbing or gas publications they would actually print it, very doubtful which would just proves they really don't care about us just their advertising income

I was in Grahams today, which isn't my normal supplier, but they keep a stock of Denzo tape which I needed. I noticed their display of Easyfit taps and I mentioned that I had had big problems with them. They didn't seem surprised. They said they don't sell many, as it is fairly well known within the trade that they are risky. That surprised me. If plumbers are aware that there's a problem, why aren't more plumbers making a noise about it?

I also returned my remaining stock of Easyfit taps to Plumb Center for a refund and spoke to the Exeter manager. I showed him my video and he was quite shocked and obviously concerned about all the other Easyfit taps he has sold. I don't think he'll be selling any more for a while.

Sometimes when you know something, you also have a responsibility to speak out about what you know. If you are a plumber who reads this thread and you're aware of the problem, why not share my video on your Facebook page. The link is:
https://youtu.be/chTGvh-Rsas

And next time you are in your plumbing merchants, show it to them on your phone. It is also very easy to find it you go to YouTube and search for 'Hamish the Plumber'. Then look for the one with me holding up a Bristan Echo box.

Just happened on this thread and had a bit of a shock because I have one of these taps in my kitchen. I ordered the tap on line can't remember where from to replace an existing Bristan. I ordered a conventional tap but this was sent, I presume by mistake. Needless to say I immediately went and checked it. The grub screws are as tight as the day I fitted the tap and could not be tightened further.
As others have said I don't really see the need for this type of fitting but I have viewed the video.
What I can't understand is how the grub screws can loosen themselves.

Good question, about how the grub screws can loosen themselves. I never anticipated that would happen until taps actually started blowing off. I don't have a definite answer, but I guess that every time the tap is turned on and off, or the spout turned from side to side, there is a small but repetitive stress placed on the grub screws. It's strange how things do loosen over time with small repetitive stress or vibrations. I image that a tall tap like an echo suffers more stress due to greater leverage than a lower one like the cinnamon. It might be that echos start blowing after about a year and that cinnamons will last longer. But the grub screws ought to stay tight for the life of the tap, say 10 years or even longer. So to be working loose in less than a year is really rubbish.

I've just been re-looking through this thread from the beginning. I was shocked to see that ed209 started it way back in January 2015, and was talking to Bristan about it on 20 January 2015. So Bristan have known about this problem for ages. On 1 October 2015, CROFT was talking to Bristan about them paying for damages to a customer's property. On 5 October 2015 JACKY spoke to Bristan and they admitted problems with Easyfit (privately of course). And yet, when I spoke to them on 2 August 2016 they had the gall to tell me that in all the cases they had investigated, it was due to installer error! I recorded the conversation - it is tempting to post the mp3 online!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bristan easy fit taps in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just fitted new cartridge to a 1901 basin tap. Instead of being a quick easy job it took quite some time due to corrosion of the shroud. There...
Replies
Views
P
Hi ,we have been in our house just over a year now and the bristan was already in place so not sure how old it is but; there was a major burst...
Replies
Views
I have read a few threads including one by Debbie Stano that were similar to my issue but that thread stopped a while back without any resolution...
Replies
Views
Hi Everyone, For those who like a long read but I could rally do with some advice. Might be a bit long this. For background. A...
Replies
Views
Hi I am not sure whether I have posted correctly earlier today, if so please forgive me as I am trying again just in case. I have a sink that...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock