Search the forum,

Discuss Boss remove - Hole blank in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Hello
Our SVP had a Boss connector fitted to it
Similar to this: MCALPINE MECHANICAL PIPE BOSS CONNECTOR BLACK 40MM
SF #55722

It was removed and 'taped' with gaffer tape
The tape has failed and is leaking

Q: Is there such a thing as a "40mm blanking plate" or similar for the remaining hole?

We don't really want a new Boss installed as it is now redundant

Thanks in advance

Yes, if there’s any of it left then a ridding eye access cap, blanking plug et al can be fitted, if there’s not then maybe then it’s into a rodding point, using one of these?

Or cut a square out of the side wall of a piece of 4” soil pipe so that each side is wider than the hole by an inch.
Then heat it up with the blow torch to slightly soften it, then push it against the soil pipe while it cools.
This will reshape it slightly so that it now fits the slightly larger od of the patch.
Then use solvent weld to fit it in place.

If you wanna get real fancy, cut another piece with a hole saw, the same size as the boss hole and glue it in the middle of you new patch before fitting it. This will reduce the risk of stuff getting caught on the lip if the existing hole. If you don’t wanna to this step, use a file and slightly file the inside of the existing hole to remove the sharp edges before fitting the patch.

Or cut a square out of the side wall of a piece of 4” soil pipe so that each side is wider than the hole by an inch.
Then heat it up with the blow torch to slightly soften it, then push it against the soil pipe while it cools.
This will reshape it slightly so that it now fits the slightly larger od of the patch.
Then use solvent weld to fit it in place.

If you wanna get real fancy, cut another piece with a hole saw, the same size as the boss hole and glue it in the middle of you new patch before fitting it. This will reduce the risk of stuff getting caught on the lip if the existing hole. If you don’t wanna to this step, use a file and slightly file the inside of the existing hole to remove the sharp edges before fitting the patch.
I dreamt a similar thing last night
Oval cut out, small hole in middle to allow a coat hanger, bent at 90 degrees, to position, and with a heat gun and solvent weld - Position and fix
Another circle cut out, fractionally smaller than the hole, solvent weld in place and gutter sealant around the perimeter
BUT .. decided to go for the collar - less of a ball ache
Thanks anyway
:)

Reply to Boss remove - Hole blank in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
IS IT POSSIBLE TO ADJUST THIS MIXER UNIT? WE HAVE TO HAVE IT TURNED ALMOST FULLY ANTI CLOCKWISE TO GET HOT WATEROUT. THE FRONT PLATE WITH MIRA ON IT PRISES OFF AND INSIDE THERE ARE SOME PLASTIC BITS AND A SMALL CROSS-HEAD SCREW IN THE MIDDLE. THANKS
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock