1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discuss booster pump- A BIG ONE in the Water Regulations area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Tags:
  1. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

Came across what I think is a commercial booster , in a fancy house. She's not had it serviced in some time but that's besides the point. There is also a tank in the loft- all I want to do is turn it off so I can change a shower thermostat. The scared-y cat that I am I didn't want to turn anything off without knowing, as it's a fancy house- flooding is NOT on the cards. Any idea's? Either how to find out where to turn it off safely, or who to ask- she doesn't know.. IMG_20190327_151101447.jpg IMG_20190327_155144851.jpg IMG_20190327_155156097.jpg
    So i can make out- in the dark- twin pumps and controller (not in pic) connected to the calorifier and as I said there's a tank in the loft. There are 4 lever valves- not labelled on the pumps- a pair either side. Tempted to turn both off but would like to also turn controller off. Dosn't help it's all in the bloody dark!!

2. YorkshireDave

YorkshireDave Plumber Top Contributor!!

Lets be logical. In a power cut everything goes off. When power comes back on it all works.

Just turn it all off! Isolate and Im sure youll be fine. Just make sure you test & drain as you go.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Should be a lever valve on the outlet of the pumps turn that off the blue tank is a water softener

4. Chuck

Chuck Well-Known Member

Aquatech is still in business:

Aquatech Pressmain water booster sets, pressurisation units

They should be able to help with any points you aren't sure about.

I think you are right to be cautious. Turning things off is easy. It's what happens when you switch them back on again and not everything 'just works' straight off that needs planning for. What will be your next move?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Last Plumber

Last Plumber Trusted Plumber GSR

Turn power off and the delivery valve off and open the taps to depressurize the system and you should be OK. Label them to make sure no-one opens them.
    That's the way I would do it. I can only speak for myself.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  6. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

7. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Give it the beans

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. OffshoreGas

OffshoreGas Active Member

Something like this will be simple on off control with a pressure switch. Its just some relay type contacts, I'd maybe give the home owner the warning that "its not my fault if it doesn't work when I turn it back on". I'd expect isolation points down stream as well as up for an expensive system like that.

9. Ted808

Ted808 Plumber GSR

In the end she decided not to go ahead and refused to pay for the time I spent there trying to figure out what was what in the dark. Not too unhappy, as she didn't have the system serviced for the last 9 years as she lost confidence in the company that was doing it! Would've like to get paid tho!! Typically she was loaded.. Had to think about how many bathrooms they have!!

10. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber

Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Might have not been serviced because they don't pay so well! Just a thought.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1