Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Boiler warranty pitfalls in the Central Heating Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

1. etrader

etrader New Member

Can I ask about boiler warranties/guarantees.

I am going to get a new boiler installed and have been looking at the Ideal Vogues and Worcester 32cdi. These seem to offer 10 year warranties if installed by an accredited engineer.

I have had a few quotes and the installers told me about the 10year warranty, the thing is 10years is a long time for a manufacturer to repair a product free of charge if it fails. I am thinking what is the catch - so my question is what is the catch?

For example they say that the boiler is covered for manufacturing faults, this is not the same as wear and tear in my eyes - a part might fail and it is not a manufacturing fault, it has just worn out.

2. Riley

Riley S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

It is all about maintenance if you have your boiler regularly serviced and it goes on to a clean system that is regularly treated with chemical then you shouldn’t have any problems, if they come out and find that it’s filthy dirty or the condense trap is backed up then you’ve clearly not had it looked after

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

As above. Cleaned and serviced is very important.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Also for 10 years they need there own filter / protection kits eg filters etc

5. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Personally I think these 10 year warranty are crazy , it was started by one manufacturer and all the rest have followed, simply because they had to , to compete .

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Gasmk1

Gasmk1 GSR

i thought it was to do with europe to come into line with their warranties may be wrong

7. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not heard that pal , but there maybe some truth in that too .

8. gmartine

gmartine GSR

As with a new vehicle warranty from a dealership, they won't be sympathetic unless you have a full service history.

9. Millsy 82

Millsy 82 Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Totally agree they are killing the trade. Installers only love them but if you do breakdowns you've lost half your work.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Darren Jackson

Darren Jackson Plumber GSR

Also you will find that you need to read the small print. Some manufacturers offer the 7 or 10 yr warranty but after a couple of years the pump or fan is not covered and 5 years the pcb is not covered etc...etc... If they can wriggle out of it they will.

• Like Like x 1
  11. EvilDrPorkChop

EvilDrPorkChop GSR

I think a lot of manufactures are counting on that, the customer at some point in the 10 years will; forget to have it serviced, loose the benchmark/service record, move house (Paper work misplaced etc, new owners don't know about warranty), or the warranty issue is caused by an external factor such as system contamination, incorrect servicing etc.

To be fair there's a few customers that we've had with condensing boilers in for 10 years that haven't had any issues with them! So I guess it's luck of the draw.

12. garygvl

garygvl GSR

depends on what your definition of servicing is.

13. Stu-B

Stu-B Member

How ever it is defined in the manual, or if you work for BG, “fga probe in, fga probe out, then try sell the homeowner something to meet your monthly sales targets, then on to the next :p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. robdog6000

robdog6000 GSR

Worcester's 10 year guarantee is based on a full service record. If you don't have this then you will be paying them £250 for a call out/repair.

15. ShaneRaff92

ShaneRaff92 New Member

Just as a point of reference, an ideal accredited engineer here. The vogue max boiler comes with a 12 year warranty when installed by an accredited installer and the logic max comes with a 9 year warranty. So an extra two years for the boilers if installed with the ideal magnetic filter. System its put onto should be power flushed before hand especially if it's a swap and not a new install. Just check the terms and conditions of the warranty on the respective brands websites it should give you all the info you need.