Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Recommendations Needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Truman

I know this must get asked a lot of times but still, everyone's needs are different so I would be grateful for any advice.

I live in a smallish 3 bed detached house, just the one bathroom with electric shower, so HW is only required for kitchen sink, bath and basin, plus basin in downstairs loo which is seldom used (for HW anyway!). Currently got an open vented, fully pumped system and looking to move to a combi. I know these aren't great where there's a lot of demand for HW from multiple outlets but that's not the case with me.

Heating wise, I've 9 radiators and will be getting some replaced as part of the work, which will mean I'll have 7 double radiators, a single, and the towel rail. By my approximations, approx 12kW demand for heating which is well within most combis capabilities.

Output wise, I'm looking for a 28/30kW combi. It's going in a kitchen corner where there's not a huge amount of space. A biggish combi would possibly fit, but ideally a smaller one would be preferable. As per another thread, I was going to go for a Viessmann 100W which is 700mm high but decided against it. I'm keen to stick with a good brand with a good reputation, don't mind paying more for a better product. The Worcester CDi compact range has caught my eye due to their smaller size. Are these any good? How do they compare to the Classic? Are they compromised because of their smaller size?

I must say I'm not looking for an all singing all dancing boiler. I will want it controlling by a simple wired thermostat and timeswitch/programmer as I'm not a fan of programmable wireless thermostats. And I certainly don't want weather compensation or any 'intelligent' features that take the control out of the hands of the user. I like things as simple as possible, and built to last. So if you can recommend anything that fits the bill please let me know. I figure it's best to try and decide on a boiler first before I get any quotes, seeing as most installers just tend to fit a certain brand, plus it means I can find an approved installer with sound experience of fitting the one I choose. Thanks folks!

Hi Truman sounds like you would be better of with an ideal logic plus great boiler easy to service reasonable parts prices and they have a 7yr warranty :D.

Ideal logic plus. 30kw. You got 20 lpm at mains? 2 bar dynamic

Logic plus or better the vogue if it will fit

vogue is very quiet btw ;)

My personal options (intergas and atag) are chunky beasts so likely to be unsuitible for you.

now you say about weather comp, if your property is insulated and your rads are sized properly then seriously do consider it.
unless you're the type of person who likes the house roasting hot!

say its 0 degrees outside, the boiler will run at 75 degrees to get the place hot

oh its 13 degress outside? Boiler will say run at say 35 degrees, less gas used and no total over shooting and boiling the place.
no loss of control for you, just the boiler gives the heat needed, not how much the boiler can fire out in one go.

It keeps you comfortable but some people want roasting hot!

I should have mentioned, the boiler will need to be fitted on a stand off kit, with all pipework except the condensate pipe being routed upwards. With this in mind, I'm looking for a boiler with an integral filling loop, rather than the traditional filling loop underneath the boiler as, like I say, all pipes will be behind the boiler and routed upwards. The Ideal doesn't seem to have this feature.

Seeing as you've got a bath I'd advise maybe going for the 30+ Kw range of boiler for hot water production :)

Go for a Worcester Bosch.

No need for stand off kit as pipes can fit up behind the boiler.

7year warranty that will get honoured, not sure with the Logics.

Go for a Worcester Bosch.

No need for stand off kit as pipes can fit up behind the boiler.

7year warranty that will get honoured, not sure with the Logics.

Well I can tell you from experience. That ideal don't make the customer pay a deposit upfront on warranty repairs just incase it's not their fault.

Ideal will honour any warranty and won't tell you that only certain parts are covered by their warranty. WB give you 10 years but only on hex? Ideal vogue and at one point were offering 10 years in the whole boiler for free. Currently 7 years unlimited warranty , this covers ideal controls aswell - unlike Worcester who don't cover their own controls under boiler warranty.

I went to a logic plus to do a service (not had one in three yrs) it had a small leak on the auto airvent and ideal still came out and did the repair free under the warranty now that in my opinion is going above and beyond well done ideal. :bucktooth:.

Well I can tell you from experience. That ideal don't make the customer pay a deposit upfront on warranty repairs just incase it's not their fault.

Ideal will honour any warranty and won't tell you that only certain parts are covered by their warranty. WB give you 10 years but only on hex? Ideal vogue and at one point were offering 10 years in the whole boiler for free. Currently 7 years unlimited warranty , this covers ideal controls aswell - unlike Worcester who don't cover their own controls under boiler warranty.

Without starting a disagreement, I'm not altogether sure if this is true, it's the first I've heard of it.
I shall speak to the rep and clarify for myself.

Yes, you are talking rubbish.

Worcester offer an unlimited 7 year warranty on the boiler, 8 years if you have their filter fitted. 10 years on the heat exchanger.

Worcester do not charge you for a call out, that's Vaillant, they take your card details first just in case they can pin the fault on the installer.

Worcester also cover their internal timers for the duration of the boiler warranty.

Assured Heating - do the Worcesters come with a stainless steel heat exchanger like the Viessmanns?

And have you fitted many from the Compact range? I believe the Juniors aren't the best boilers but how about the Compacts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Recommendations Needed in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, bit of a noob question but would someone be able to help me to understand the pipes coming off our boiler. It's a Grant oil combi boiler, and where the pipes come in is in a room at the front of the house. I am about to box them in but I really wanted to understand what the various pipes...
Replies
Views
It was fitted with the boiler a Potterton Suprima 30L about 21 years ago. Two PCB's later and a new fan the boiler is working perfectly. However, the programmer display is not showing any digits for the clock or anything else so I am unable to program it. It still works the boiler manually...
Replies
Views
I am planning on replacing a standard radiator with a designer style vertical radiator in anthracite. I will need a high output of 6000BTU plus. I have researched online and I am struggling to find any consensus on what is a quality radiator brand to select from. I’m not necessarily looking for...
Replies
Views
I have bought an old house in rural France and it has an oil tank and Unical oil powered boiler (Italian I think). Its a beast of a thing but can't find any model info or any plates on it. I want to change the switch and thermostat to a digital wireless thermostat but I'm not sure what I can...
Replies
Views
Hi I have a Honeywell ST699 programmer which is working fine but I want to learn how to decommission it (disconnect it from the rest of the system). Currently I have a Honeywell Home Single Zone Thermostat (Y87RF2024) and I am thinking to get the Honeywell Home Mobile Access Kit RFG100 to get...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock