Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss boiler question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wonderful wend

Hi,I am new to this forum so please be gentle. I am looking to upgrade my combi to a system boiler with unvented cylinder. I am totally confused by all the boilers that are out there. I have been looking at the following boilers and I wonder if I could ask the good people on this forum if they have an opinion, good or bad on the following:-

Vaillant ecotec 624 system boiler
Worcester B. 24i system boiler
Baxi Platium
and also
Intergas boiler 24/18.

I know these questions keep getting asked, but as I am going to be spending a lot of money, I would like to make sure I don't get a "duff" boiler.

I cannot find much information about the Intergas boiler, other than on their website, and from what I have read there, it seems to be a good boiler and versatile, but as it is a newish boiler, I am not sure whether it is as good as it is made out to be

Any help to a damsel in distress would be much appreciated.

:confused:

ever manufacturer will say on their website that their boiler is the best

Have you had a plumber round to size up the required boiler?

The preference on here would be Worcester Bosch and Valliant

Thanks for your reply. Have had several installers to give quotes. Each one has their own personal preferance, and rusbbishes the other makes. The boiler has been sized according to the boiler size calculator IDHEE I think it is, and I need an 18kw boiler. Am interested in the Vaillant boiler and the ebus controls and a Unistor unvented cylinder, but the intergas boiler sounded good as it was quite simple, with less parts to go wrong - but because it is new am a bit "iffy".

each installer will have personal preferences but at the end of the day all boilers have quality checks and are sold under the sales of goods act, ie fit for purpose, as descirbe etc etc

I had a ford once and the tappits failed every 6 months and needed resetting, as such I wont buy one again and tell others not to but thats because i had a bad experience and the dealer wouldn't help. In truth a new ford will probably not have this problem but once bitten twice shy.

I would go with one of the two i have mentioned personally

Thanks Tom, as I said, I am erring towards the Vaillant total system with unvented cylinder. - Any comments on this one?

intergas are a dutch company, recently moved into uk and their combi has a combined heat exchanger for hw and heating removing the need for diverter valves etc. Well put together and similar price to top end boilers for less parts. 1 benefit is you can install and set it up for hw only one day and come back and do the ch the next day if tie is short by having a play with thepcb set up.

my favoured boilers are broag remehas with 5 year warranties and are nice and reliable, cheaper than worcester and vaillants and reasonable back if needed. however go by your installers reccomend as they are installing the boiler and know one brand better than others norally

An unvented cylinder and a system boiler will give you superior hot water flow rates than most combi's, provided your incoming main is giving enough water as it enters the house.

As for which boiler, I would say get one from an installer who can convince you he belives in the appliance he is recomending.

I have fittted Viessmann up until the end of last year, I liked the quality, and the five year manufacturers warenttee which ment my customer had peace of mind should the appliance developes a fault.

I noticed the Intergas range in the trade press and so booked in for a days training at the Companies HQ.

As a sole trader the fact that the boiler, in Combi form, has less bits to go wrong than some other makes does apeal to me., and where as I cant afford to carry all the spares for the Viessmann/Vaillant/W,Bosch, I can afford to keep a spares box in the van for the Intergas boilers.
So when the three year warrenty expires I will have the bits to get it up and running on Christmas eve or when the Manufacturers are on holiday and I want to be able to help the customer. The Manufacturers Chief Engineer always rings back if I need advice during an install.

I have installed 6 boilers from the Intergas range since Christmas, each has the out side temperature sensor fitted.

Obviously I do like the Intergas range and along with some other installers are keeping the presure on the manufacturer to increase the warentee period, but it has alot going for it and would be recomending an Intergas appliance.

Which ever manufacturers appliance you get please ask the installer about weather compensaion as although the British market is a bit slow to take this simple control on board, it really does reduce gas consumption, and it installed with a room stat that has a set back temperature facility will provide comfort with economy, good luck in making your choice.

Tim

An unvented cylinder and a system boiler will give you superior hot water flow rates than most combi's, provided your incoming main is giving enough water as it enters the house.

As for which boiler, I would say get one from an installer who can convince you he belives in the appliance he is recomending.

I have fittted Viessmann up until the end of last year, I liked the quality, and the five year manufacturers warenttee which ment my customer had peace of mind should the appliance developes a fault.

I noticed the Intergas range in the trade press and so booked in for a days training at the Companies HQ.

As a sole trader the fact that the boiler, in Combi form, has less bits to go wrong than some other makes does apeal to me., and where as I cant afford to carry all the spares for the Viessmann/Vaillant/W,Bosch, I can afford to keep a spares box in the van for the Intergas boilers.
So when the three year warrenty expires I will have the bits to get it up and running on Christmas eve or when the Manufacturers are on holiday and I want to be able to help the customer. The Manufacturers Chief Engineer always rings back if I need advice during an install.

I have installed 6 boilers from the Intergas range since Christmas, each has the out side temperature sensor fitted.

Obviously I do like the Intergas range and along with some other installers are keeping the presure on the manufacturer to increase the warentee period, but it has alot going for it and would be recomending an Intergas appliance.

Which ever manufacturers appliance you get please ask the installer about weather compensaion as although the British market is a bit slow to take this simple control on board, it really does reduce gas consumption, and it installed with a room stat that has a set back temperature facility will provide comfort with economy, good luck in making your choice.

Tim
Weather comp is the way forward.:)

Had a good quote for my ch, and am now all sorted. Thanks to all of you for your help and advice. You have all been very helpful. Yes, I have gone for the Weather Compensation as well!!.

Thanks guys.

Wend
Have you or anyone measured your incoming flowrate and pressure.Most combis are OK with 1 bar incoming, wheras an unvented needs at least 3 bar to get the benefit of mains hot water.

Graham

Hi Graham

Yes, the incoming water is 3bar, and the flow rate, I know as we have had the water pipe upgraded to 25mm mdpe pipe, and it is approx 21 lps.
Thanks for your question.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to boiler question in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock