Discuss Boiler Leaking, Need replacement? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tec

My Potterton Kingfisher CF50 floor stander has started leaking, well when I say started, the water is gushing out, well almost.

I guess the only option is replacement?

The boiler is in the kitchen, the flue goes out to the roof, with the HW cylinder and pump, valve in the airing cupboard upstairs. Header tank in the loft.

What is best option for replacement? (3-bed detached, Cavity wall insulated)

I was looking at option of something like the Potterton Promax HE Store to relocate into the airing cupboard, or are there better options?

I would rather have something that does not need room or space ventilation, as I don't want a cold house in the winter because I need a big hole in the wall for ventilation.

I guess I will be looking at at least £2,000 for boiler and fitting?

Thanks.

Not a bad choice of boiler imo.
No comment on your costing though, get a couple of estimates or advertise on this forum for an engineer in your area.

Thanks for reply.

I will try and get some estimates this week.

I usually have bad experience in my area trying to get any sort of trades person to do a simple job, and I live in a good location, not a riot area.

Thanks for reply.

I will try and get some estimates this week.

I usually have bad experience in my area trying to get any sort of trades person to do a simple job, and I live in a good location, not a riot area.

Start a thread here: [DLMURL="http://www.ukplumbersforums.co.uk/im-looking-plumber-gas-engineer/"]I'm looking for a Plumber or Gas Engineer[/DLMURL] and someone will see you right... :)

And welcome!

Update... Interesting experience so far!

Have had 2 companies here to provide estimates so far, and both with different ideas as to the best replacement system,
even though I was trying to keep the 2nd on the same track as the first estimate for comparison reasons. The 2nd had different ideas, but nothing wrong with that.

I don't know the cost of the second yet, as would not reveal, but I was impressed by the line of thinking!

Different manufacturer of boiler involved so far.

Have another estimate booked for Friday.

All I can say is that it is definitely worth getting at least 2 estimates, and by the 3rd hopefully a conclusion will be made as to which is best for me.

I have had 3 estimates now.

Two of the estimates are for a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 15/18RI in the kitchen and retain the existing hot and cold tanks in upstairs airing cupboard.
Both of these were quoted at around £3,500 with BG actually being slightly cheaper than the local independent.

The other estimate was to fit a Valiant Ecotech Plus 615 in the upstairs airing cupboard, and move the cold water tank from airing cupboard to the loft.
This would be £2,700.

I have been told by the other installers the problem with the airing cupboard install, is the boiler fan would be noisy as it is between 2 bedrooms, and also that moving the large cold water tank into the loft would mean having to enlarge the loft hatch which is only 530x290mm, and making some big changes in the loft as there is no room to walk around up there.

The other point is that is there any advantage or disadvantage in having a boiler too large, as two of my estimates have 15kW, and one has 18kW boiler?

I don't know which to choose, but could obviously just get the cheapest one, or should I get another quote?

I was expecting the BG quote to be way over the top, but it does not seem to be with the included discounts of about £600.

check the warranties offered bg sometimes only give a years cover this is because they buy the boilers cheap and cover the warranty them selves and after one year you have to take out their cover your independant pays full price for the boiler and you may get up to 5 years cover from vailants

anyone can start high and discount, its the final price that counts along with the product spec. if your only 3 beds one bathroom a combi would do the job as well for around3500. to replace a boiler in the kitchen with another ov heat only for £3500, is steep in my mind esp as your other quote is less and includes moving a cyl to the attic! time for more quotes imho re fan noise, boilers are v quiet now, esp intergas ones, your being fed a line of waffle there.

Not a good idea to keep the same hot water cylinder, unless its been changed it must be over 20 years old, if you are in a hard water area it will need replacing, £3500.00 seems high just for a boiler replacement, have you thought about removing boiler hot & cold tanks & small tank in loft , then having a combi boiler fitted ? depending on how much hot water you use. ask about length of warranty 7 to 10 years is on offer.

BG salesman said 10 year warranty on the boiler, but there is no mention of this in the paperwork. It only mentions Homecare 200 for 1-year.

The independent quote states one year parts and labour guarantee plus manufacturers second to six years breakdown cover.

The cheapest Vailant quote does not not go into a lot of detail as below.

To remove existing floor standing boiler and all associated pipework from kitchen, install new Vaillant Ecotech plus 615 system boiler in airing cupboard with vertical flue. Reposition cold water storage tank to loft area inclusive of all plumbing connections. Full commission and test. All work guaranteed for 12 months, seven years warranty on boiler.

The HW cylinder tank has been replaced about 5-7 years ago and looks in good condition.

I have an electric power shower, which is reason was told cannot have combi-boiler as it would not provide enough water.

I would hate to give a figure without seeing it, but yes, £3500 for a boiler swap sounds "heavy"! It depends on all sorts - gas pipe runs, flue positions etc.
Cylinder 7 years old ... there was a change in the Building Regs which spoke about those - anyone remember when it was?? Iirc they all went to blue insulation at the time.

Assuming you mean you have a pumped shower, then if you wanted to it probably wouldn't be too hard to put a combi in, removing both tanks and pump. The pipes will all be in/near the airing cupboard usually. Only if you have just one bathroom and want the space gain, though, imho.

The BG estimate is divided into sections, briefly as below:-

Boiler £671 (WB Greenstar 15RI)
Standard Boiler Replacement £1,700 (Standard Fitting)
Customisation and Compliance £491 (Removing old vertical flue and re-routing new gas pipe)
System Reliability £336 (Magnetic Filter System)
System Performance £697 (update to fully pumped and heating controls)
Home Enhancement £126 (Replace one faulty small radiator)

Give you some high prices on that, £1700 - Labour charge, £336 for a £100 filter, £500 for removing flue and altering gas pipe and £700 to upgrade controls, If you except those prices then you need to seek help or you have got to much money !! Price for boiler & radiator are ok but the rest they are taking the P---, Are they not charging you for a power flush ? its one of their favourite add on's, Got some nice titles for what they do though , By comparison I have priced for a similar system upgrade remove everything except radiators and fit a combi with 10 year warranty and filter with new gas pipes & controls for under £2500. also I give my customers a choice of boiler, all you get from BG is Worcester. At those prices it would be worth me traveling to Oxford and staying over night in a 5* hotel. You need to get some better prices than you have been given !!

i was reading this and thinking i would be happy to travel from where i am and fit this at those prices !!

You need to get some better prices than you have been given !!

Getting some more estimates done this afternoon!

A combi boiler is possible Greenstar CDi Classic if I get rid of the power shower, from first visit this afternoon. I don't know the price yet.

Do I still need a cold water tank or not? As I think all the old tanks may go if I have a combi?

if you want professional install with reasonable price then I am your man !!! just let me know if you would like to me to quote for the work and I will do it on a good price ! forget about BG and there home care !

if pressure is low in the house and you dont have a good water flow then you will need the tank with a booster pump , but if its all good then you will not need it !

if you want professional install with reasonable price then I am your man !!! just let me know if you would like to me to quote for the work and I will do it on a good price ! forget about BG and there home care !

Thanks for the offer. First I will wait for today's quotes to see if any cheaper.
I appreciate all the help and advice given so far from everyone. Hopefully will not need to book anyone in 5* hotels :D

It's getting a bit time consuming getting loads of estimates done. (Five so far!)

Last visit this afternoon been and gone, for a Vaillant combi.

Combi boiler seems to be the way to go, but will see what the prices are like.

just keep in mind ..... Price is not the main point to consider when getting this type of work done ! Not all engineers will deliver 100% quality when it comes to install

How does £2,800 sound for ecotech 824 plus in airing cupboard with a mixer shower fitted included in the price?

I can beat that price :) for a Worcester Bosch + 5 or 7 years guarantee boiler + FREE power flush ( as long as you have a new radiator valves )

I can beat that price :) for a Worcester Bosch + 5 or 7 years guarantee boiler + FREE power flush ( as long as you have a new radiator valves )

Will it include new valves. and a shower fitted?

Another quote today, this for Bosch....

£2770.00 inc VAT

OR....

To site the boiler in the airing cupboard would require a vertical flue and a condense pump.
This would add:
£640.00 inc VAT

This system is not compatible with your existing shower which would need to be replaced with either an Aqualisa Visage exposed digital shower.

£486.00 inc VAT

Or an Aqualisa thermostatic bath / shower mixer fitted in place of the taps.

£365.00 inc VAT

So easily £3,800 with the boiler upstairs, and a shower fitted!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Colin , I am sorry about that I did sent my message and I am not sure what has gone wrong there !

My message was :

Thank you for contacting me , and as you were already mention that you are likely to hire a local installer I am not going to waist your and my time for visiting your home.

Also I were going to suggest a WB 30cdi with 7 years guarantee + Magnaclean + lime scale reducer+new Honeywell trv valves+ power flush for a total of about £1,999.99 all inn !

Stan

I am interested, But you didn't call even though I left my number.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be going to op Colin's house to survey job tonight , will give update soon !
by the way he had so many engineers to survey and no one did take a reading for water pressure and water flow !!!! How bizarre

Na Adam got it wrong find some local footings being dug and stick it in there (joke) Stan there's a place in Stevenage that does it I think

will they travel to OX16 post code , do you think ? have you used them Alex ?

Funny other engineers that have been to the house only mention it , and told Colin(customer) they will remove it them selfs the first 2m of 4" ......tc tc tc

But then all the weight from the 6" will drop down ........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler Leaking, Need replacement? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have a 40 year old floor standing Glow Worm 45-60 boiler (open vent )which is in a cupboard in the centre of the house. Its an old workhouse...
Replies
Views
Hi, I need some urgent advice. I've Just come home after going out for evening, to discover hallway floor and kitchen floor covered in water. On...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Context for issue: Last winter the temperature switch on my boiler shorted somehow, the boiler was then running WAY too hot and ended up...
Replies
Views
I have a 3 port valve Y plan system, with a hot water tank in airing cupboard and a cold water feeder tank in loft. I want to replace the old 25+...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock