Discuss boiler install gas pipe size in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

I need a new boiler and would prefer a 35KW combi boiler but wanted to know if my existing gas pipe will allow it. I wanted to check this first so i can look at my boiler options before getting somebody around.
I don't have any other gas appliances and my existing pipe is 22mm. The gas meter is located next to our front door in a box at ground level. I have no wish to take up my Oak floor to lay a new pipe.
I have attached a rough sketch of the gas pipe run and would appreciate any advise. Thanks .

Attachments

• boiler 1.jpeg
    boiler 1.jpeg
    14.2 KB · Views: 37
1. Your gas run is roughly 20 metres.
2. You appear to have 7 elbows. I'd suggest you count this as 10 (allowing for ones by the meter which may have been missed), so a further equivalent 5 metres.
3. The manufacturer's data will tell you exactly, but a 35 kW boiler will require around 3.8 cubic metres of gas per hour.
4. A 25 metre run of 22 mm pipe will only support a flow rate of 2.6 m cubic metres / hour, so is inadequate.
5. Subject to a specific site survey, you would need 28 mm pipe for the run.
6. Because gas is compressible, a required flow rate may be achievable with a mixture of pipe sizes. This would need a precise on the spot calculation. It can't be done over the internet. However, it MIGHT allow you to avoid damaging a floor.
7. For those who might consider this too much information, all the above is freely available on the internet. Mostly at https://copperplumbing.org.uk/sites...achments/domestic-gas-planning-and-sizing.pdf

Gut feeling 28mm required as it’s around 20m

24kw is pushing it for 20m on 22mm

Ok thanks all. New pipe was my gut feeling but it's a real pain having to lift an oak floor and chase across a newly tiled kitchen floor.
I was looking at a 35k Worcester greenstar 8000 lifestyle as we have a Bosch Worcester floor mounted 400 high flow at the moment, the difference being the floor mounted has a hot water storage tank in it.
I have 5 bedrooms, one bathroom and one shower room and no other gas appliances so maybe a smaller KW would be ok. What do you think?

Reply to boiler install gas pipe size in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

It's not every day I deal with 110mm soil pipes, therefore I do not have a selection of different fittings at hand to try what combination fits my...
Replies
Views
I wish to add a second boiler to my existing meter. Location 20m away. Underground run. Can l use 32mm yellow pipe with copper tails at each end...
Replies
Views
I have decided to remove the timber floor boards and joists as they are effected by damp and rotting. Was hoping to infill and have slab and...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m having a gas cooker pipe capped off. The GS registered plumber/ fitter, has told me that to do this, he’ll also have to service the combi...
Replies
Views
Hello All, I was hoping you could help with a potential boiler build query for my father. He has recently had a new boiler installed via British...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock