Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler in a church in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt06

Gas Engineer
Hello, went to look at this the other day There is a badge saying "Ideal Standard No 3 series Vanguard" i cant find any information on this.
Am i correct in thinking this is a coal boiler which has had an oil burner added to it ?
Part of the flue has come apart and cracked in some places, Was thinking of trying to seal them with this
high temp sealant

Here are some pics of the boiler
https://plus.google.com/u/1/photos/104536709678635206774/albums/6070167651359733169

Thanks
Matt

You haven't shared publicly that link so we can't see the pictures!

Pound to a pinch the gaskets are full of asbestos.

Churches are notorious for not wanting to spend money. Time for this one to start thinking about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Are all boilers maintained like this ? I've never been godly enough to get near such a heavenly heap. What's that I hear? The chirp chirp of bio mass salesman?

Heavenly father, we are gathered here today to say goodbye to the lump of cast iron that has heated your house since 1963. :aureola:

Croppies right. Most religious crowds are terrible. They expect the boilers to last forever. That 1 is fairly scorched alright. With the flue cracked like that I wouldn't b surprised if the target brick, if it has one is totally disintegrated.

Agree with croppie.The priest normally finds an ex gas engineer in his flock,who along with the choir boys will change it themselves.

On the plus side, at least it has a decent crossland type filter :)
Although that boiler would probably burn any old oil and probably has done!
biomass sounds like a good idea Ermintrude, get plenty of RHI on a church I would of thought.

I'm confused by this thread.

How does a boiler get installed in a church? Every time a heating engineer stepped over the thresshold, there would be a clap of thunder, and bolt of lightening, leaving just a pair of snickers boots and a smouldering toolbag.

Apprentices Ray.

We send them in as decoys.

Omnipresent the holy goat might be, sharpest tool in the box he ain't.....

I would of thought a boiler of that age would be loaded with asbestos gaskets and insulation. Best not to touch it.

I went to an old ideal a few years back probably about the same age it was a massive great thing probably twice the size. there was a broom handle onto one of the doors which I moved as we walked in. She said the is a funny smell when the boiler is running. It was too big for me to touch but I said let's fire it up and I will give you a bit of advice. When the boiler fired up the door shot open almost taking off my head (should of realised that's why it was there) then next the room filled with smoke it was one of the flue seals round the back with nothing sealing them. I spoke to ideal about what would be best to do with it and they said turn it off disconnect it and don't touch it as it will be full of asbestos and then went through a list of where there could be asbestos. So beware doing anything on it.

I think that'd b an ideal Britannia boiler. Still a few of them knocking around. Wouldn't like to b paying the fuel bill on them. Believe it or not I replaced d firebox on 1 of them recently

Having looked at the photgraphs, I've only one thing to say: Jesus!

You may say: Jesus.

I would say $$$$$.

Re: Asbestos.
We replaced an old boiler a couple of years ago in a College.
We were warned about asbestos and if we come across anything suspicious we were to call an inspector.

There was a piece of asbestos about 10mm wide, 300mm long and 5mm thick
Thought we had better do the right thing and call inspector.

Well...20 minutes later ... we were gone, room sealed up, doors taped shut, danger tags on everything withing 20 meters of the plant room.

I thought we had a nuclear meltdown going on: Chernobyl.

Next time I will keep my mouth shut..or make the asbestos disappear.

Re: Asbestos.
We replaced an old boiler a couple of years ago in a College.
We were warned about asbestos and if we come across anything suspicious we were to call an inspector.

There was a piece of asbestos about 10mm wide, 300mm long and 5mm thick
Thought we had better do the right thing and call inspector.

Well...20 minutes later ... we were gone, room sealed up, doors taped shut, danger tags on everything withing 20 meters of the plant room.

I thought we had a nuclear meltdown going on: Chernobyl.

Next time I will keep my mouth shut..or make the asbestos disappear.

They do go mad about asbestos.

A company I worked for had 2 lads go to do a boiler change, said to the tenant they can't fit it on the wall it was meant to go on as it was asbestos so they put it somewhere else, they packed up for the night leaving all there tools there, when they arrived the asbestos was in pieces in a bag, doing the right thing they phoned the office and let them know, unfortunately they went back to the van to make that call. Apparently someone turned up taped up the flat and the communal area with all the tools still in there, bagged all there clothes and said the van can't be used until it has been cleaned and tested!

The tenant turned around and said I don't want asbestos in my house it's dangerous stuff! Lol. I think he got evicted for that.

I my self shut down a school for a day and then part of it for 2 weeks when I was an apprentice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler in a church in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock