Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler Fault Finding system for heating engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Genuinely not spamming this forum or system, but thought this fault finding system might be useful to you guys. The boilerfaultfinder system has a lot of technical information for heating engineers and plumbers regarding 'boiler fault finding'. Google

A lot of it is free and works well as a mobile app for when you are out and about. Get a lot of feedback from heating engineers saying that it has helped them with diagnosis of issues.

Just putting it out there if you did not know about it. Cheers

Is this open general public? Can they subscribe to it?

The system is aimed 100% at the Professional Heating Engineer and is way too advanced for non trained public. We only cover very technical boiler faults and diagnosis. Would be totally unsuitable for the 'change a tap washer' brigade - that's served better on other systems.

The system is aimed 100% at the Professional Heating Engineer and is way too advanced for non trained public. We only cover very technical boiler faults and diagnosis. Would be totally unsuitable for the 'change a tap washer' brigade - that's served better on other systems.

Is there anything to stop them using it (e.g. requiring Gas Safe registration number to log on to the app)? Because otherwise I can see it encouraging those sorts to 'have a go' which is a disaster waiting to happen imo.

Is there anything to stop them using it (e.g. requiring Gas Safe registration number to log on to the app)? Because otherwise I can see it encouraging those sorts to 'have a go' which is a disaster waiting to happen imo.

All people who have signed up have been professional tradesmen. We appreciate the concern, but as stated the information is so technical that the non-professional would not find it interesting.

As an addition, it would be very difficult to police as there is nothing to really stop the end-user (so to speak) from doing what they like with their boiler. There is a lot of information out there varying from the likes of the boiler manufacturers (whose manuals are available) to just "googling".

We have considered a gas safe registration system, but due to the fact that we only target the professional market has not been an issue. In a nutshell 100% of non-pro's would never want to know what an 'expansion vessel' is, let alone work out if it is not functioning properly.

The comments have been noted though and thanks for the feedback. We are always looking at ways to help you guys and focusing on providing the high level technical details.

This forum is living proof that people are more than happy to repair their own boilers and a lot know what an expansion vessel is already.

I personally wouldn’t pay for something like this mate. If I get stuck I can call the manufacturer to guide me through the job. Also your website front page says the site is for professional heating engineers and plumbers. plumbers are not legally aloud to work on boilers. They do not have the correct certification.

I personally wouldn’t pay for something like this mate. If I get stuck I can call the manufacturer to guide me through the job. Also your website front page says the site is for professional heating engineers and plumbers. plumbers are not legally aloud to work on boilers. They do not have the correct certification.

We agree; information about 'everything' is out there. We focus the content on technical fault finding for heating engineers, providing all the key information in one place and mobile. We cover over 1,000 mfg's manuals, including error codes for the popular boilers, fault diagnosis including multi-meter settings/tests and all the major component testing areas.

We also cover: (for only £9.99)
Thanks for your feedback - always looking for ways to improve the content for heating engineers.

How about my comment about the plumbers part on your web page?

Also, you give advice on how to service a boiler on an open to the public website?

@ShaunCorbs should this be here?

How about my comment about the plumbers part on your web page?

Also, you give advice on how to service a boiler on an open to the public website?

@ShaunCorbs should this be here?

Hi

Whilst we do provide a high level list of the operations a heating engineer will have to complete with a typical boiler service, there are no technical details. You have to sign up for the app / website in order to get the details of the operation details and fault checking.

Should this be here? Again we are not promoting the system just letting heating engineers know that this system is available.

This forum is living proof that people are more than happy to repair their own boilers and a lot know what an expansion vessel is already.

Fair point, I guess if people try hard enough they will always find information. Try googling "how to service a boiler" - it produces 111,000,000 results.

Again this information is aimed at the professional heating engineer. Those wanting to 'fiddle' will always find a way.

All people who have signed up have been professional tradesmen. We appreciate the concern, but as stated the information is so technical that the non-professional would not find it interesting.

As an addition, it would be very difficult to police as there is nothing to really stop the end-user (so to speak) from doing what they like with their boiler. There is a lot of information out there varying from the likes of the boiler manufacturers (whose manuals are available) to just "googling".

We have considered a gas safe registration system, but due to the fact that we only target the professional market has not been an issue. In a nutshell 100% of non-pro's would never want to know what an 'expansion vessel' is, let alone work out if it is not functioning properly.

The comments have been noted though and thanks for the feedback. We are always looking at ways to help you guys and focusing on providing the high level technical details.

You just need to spend a week or two on this forum to find out that there's a significant minority of DIYers that do want to know what 'an expansion vessel' is and do want to take their heat exchanger off, diagnose fault code, replace safety devices...

They are also generally the last people you want anywhere near gas appliances as they are so convinced of there abilities and skills.

As well as DIYers my other concern would be tradesman who are my gas Safe or trained will use this. We've all heard of builders that do the gas work themselves and then get someone who is gas Safe to commission it, your app would imo be encouraging such behaviours.

It can't be that hard to cross check a user against the gas safety register and I think you are being cavalier with the public's safety of of don't do this. I also don't see any reason not to, if as you claim all your users are professionals then in su uldnt make a difference to your user numbers.

You just need to spend a week or two on this forum to find out that there's a significant minority of DIYers that do want to know what 'an expansion vessel' is and do want to take their heat exchanger off, diagnose fault code, replace safety devices...

They are also generally the last people you want anywhere near gas appliances as they are so convinced of there abilities and skills.

As well as DIYers my other concern would be tradesman who are my gas Safe or trained will use this. We've all heard of builders that do the gas work themselves and then get someone who is gas Safe to commission it, your app would imo be encouraging such behaviours.

It can't be that hard to cross check a user against the gas safety register and I think you are being cavalier with the public's safety of of don't do this. I also don't see any reason not to, if as you claim all your users are professionals then in su uldnt make a difference to your user numbers.

Thanks for the comment.

Agreed (safety...). Do not agree we are being cavalier as there is (of course) a lot of bold statements regarding the use of information.

Cross checking to the GSR would be a good idea and we will add to the list - thanks for your comments.

We do get a lot of training heating engineers using the system help them with their official training courses and knowledge/ understanding, which would of course be an issue with the GSR element. We will give it some thought. Thanks.

I see what your saying but there is nothing to stop people from doing their own gas work, allot of the work I do (even with boilers) doesn't actually fall under the scope of gas safe anyway.
I'm in favour of discouraging diy work through educating and informing rather than cliques and prohibition.
Ive not seen the app but would advocate a clear warning on dangers of 'un licenced' gas work and possibly an icon when a check or action does fall under gsiur, for example when a boiler case forms part of the gas-way. That might also help trainees or apprentices not to overstep when they're out on their own.

Not wanting to belittle the good work some of you guys are doing to promote safe gas work but you don't half get your knickers in a twist about these things. When they sell gas fittings in B&Q I don't think you should be shooting this guy down for doing something usefull!

Do think it's important to educate any users on dangers tho even if their expected to be professionals

I see what your saying but there is nothing to stop people from doing their own gas work, allot of the work I do (even with boilers) doesn't actually fall under the scope of gas safe anyway.
I'm in favour of discouraging diy work through educating and informing rather than cliques and prohibition.
Ive not seen the app but would advocate a clear warning on dangers of 'un licenced' gas work and possibly an icon when a check or action does fall under gsiur, for example when a boiler case forms part of the gas-way. That might also help trainees or apprentices not to overstep when they're out on their own.

Not wanting to belittle the good work some of you guys are doing to promote safe gas work but you don't half get your knickers in a twist about these things. When they sell gas fittings in B&Q I don't think you should be shooting this guy down for doing something usefull!

Do think it's important to educate any users on dangers tho even if their expected to be professionals
Surely they sell plumbing fitting not natural gas fittings? The gas they do is LPG.

That's an argument for stoping B&Q from selling gas fittings imo.

Just putting a warning on the app is futile imo, the sorts that will be trying to fix their own boiler with no knowledge are the sorts to have enough of a cavalier attitude and ton of hubris that they won't think it should apply to them.

I see some shocking enough DIY work day in day out with water (and some shoddy cowboy work), the thought of that same level of attention to detail & safety being applied to gas is terrifying.

And of greater concern than the DIYers is the general builder who thinks he can do anything and everything, this app could encourage them to get even more out of their depths.

I just don't see any downsides to cross referencing with the register. I accept it could be a useful app for those that are training, but they will be around people who are qualified and can give them access/experience with it.

Surely they sell plumbing fitting not natural gas fittings? The gas they do is LPG.
Like that makes a difference!
And yes they (and many others) sell natural gas fittings to the general public.
Cooker hoses, gas valves (inc tapered plug type) etc.

Theirs lots of things you can't stop people doing so I vote for education.
The kind of people (idiot) your talking about don't need any encouragement.
I've seen my fair share of poor work even from registered engineers.

Has anyone actually looked at this app and got any other feedback?
I think the access issue has been addressed now.

Theirs lots of things you can't stop people doing so I vote for education.
The kind of people (idiot) your talking about don't need any encouragement.
I've seen my fair share of poor work even from registered engineers.

Has anyone actually looked at this app and got any other feedback?
I think the access issue has been addressed now.
It hasn’t really though has it?

Ok for arguments sake, if it was to walk someone through tightness testing or safe isolation procedure and that was to give them the confidence to do the work themselves rather than some other have-a-go hero on some (other) forum, or for them to have a go anyway without knowing that the thing they're about to play with is a gas valve and not the diverter then I'm not against that!

I do feel strongly about people being aware of the dangers of gas and that all gas work should be done by competent engineers but I also understand that a start-up can't limit it's customer base and also that not all competent engineers are gas safe registered:eek:
(Yes I said it)
Should they restrict the LPG content to only engineers with LPG tickets or unvented content to engineers with that ticket - are you qualified to look at all their guides? ;)

This is the back of my card btw
You may notice I'm not deemed competent to service patio heaters!
(And that I used it to do some filling the other day)

15469566753083490780684506282992.jpg

Should they restrict the LPG content to only engineers with LPG tickets or unvented content to engineers with that ticket - are you qualified to look at all their guides? ;)[/QUOTE]

Yes they should. 100%.

Aren’t patio heaters illegal in England now?:D:D

A good example is just doing a simple search on google shopping for "expansion vessel for potterton boiler" - brings back 100's of results - all of which can be purchased by public.

Ok, so some of them are eBay (recon or equiv) - which in a way is even worse. One thing is for sure, you cannot stop the public (potentially untrained) from getting involved with any aspect of anything if they have a mind to.

Ok, so some of them are eBay (recon or equiv) - which in a way is even worse. One thing is for sure, you cannot stop the public (potentially untrained) from getting involved with any aspect of anything if they have a mind to.[/QUOTE]

This just tells me that we should be tightening up the security. Not joining the same, let’s turn a blind eye approach.

Reply to Boiler Fault Finding system for heating engineers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock