Search the forum,

Discuss Boiler and plastering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Ms M

Hi guys and gals.<br><br>This is my very first post on here and I hope you can help. Sorry in advance for the length of this post!<br><br>I've &nbsp;had the bathroom renovated and the lounge and kitchen are now being done. &nbsp;The guys (two) have been finishing the plastering after first fix electrics. &nbsp;The boiler which was faulty and fixed about two weeks ago was not covered up during the channelling out by the electrician or when they did the plastering so I'm &nbsp;a bit concerned.<br><br>Also they have not fully plastered all the walls at the bottom or around the gas and electric meters and pipes as they ran out of plaster! &nbsp;They said that the units will hide it. I am not happy and I offered to pay for more plaster. &nbsp;They have started to assemble the units and left early after setting up a dehumidifier to dry the plaster.<br><br>When I queried things before they have said I am being picky and that it will all come together at the end and look good but if keep complaining they can stop the job and I can pay them for the work done so far. &nbsp;I feel like I'm &nbsp;between a rock and a hard place.<br><br>I have waited a long time for the renovations and using up most of my savings. &nbsp;Am I expecting too much and should I just leave them to it as they are the experienced ones? &nbsp;<br>

I'm not sure what happened with my post so here it is again. Hope it's easier to read.

Hi guys and gals. This is my very first post on here and I hope you can help. Sorry in advance for the length of this post!

I've had the bathroom renovated and the lounge and kitchen are now being done. The guys (two) have been finishing the plastering after first fix electrics.The boiler which was faulty and fixed about two weeks ago was not covered up during the channelling out by the electrician or when they did the plastering so I'm a bit concerned.

Also they have not fully plastered all the walls at the bottom or around the gas and electric meters and pipes as they ran out of plaster! They said that the units will hide it. I am not happy and I offered to pay for more plaster. They have started to assemble the units and left early after setting up a dehumidifier to dry the plaster.

When I queried things before they have said I am being picky and that it will all come together at the end and look good but if keep complaining they can stop the job and I can pay them for the work done so far. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I have waited a long time for the renovations and using up most of my savings. Am I expecting too much and should I just leave them to it as they are the experienced ones?

Also they have not fully plastered all the walls at the bottom or around the gas and electric meters and pipes as they ran out of plaster! They said that the units will hide it. I am not happy and I offered to pay for more plaster. They have started to assemble the units and left early after setting up a dehumidifier to dry the plaster.

When I queried things before they have said I am being picky and that it will all come together at the end and look good but if keep complaining they can stop the job and I can pay them for the work done so far. I feel like I'm between a rock and a hard place.

I have waited a long time for the renovations and using up most of my savings. Am I expecting too much and should I just leave them to it as they are the experienced ones?

No, you're not expecting too much, and you have every right to be picky. Although wanting walls plastered, not just covered up by units is not picky or unreasonable in my opinion. I would politely but firmly tell them to finish the plastering off to a decent standard before installing units, and not to let them bully you.

Thanks for the response Masood. Didn't think anybody would respond at this late hour!

I'll try and stand up for myself when they come back. Thanks again.

Often wiring behind floor standing units is left clipped to wall. Plaster is usually stopped 1"-2" short of the floor to avoid picking up dirt and then covered by skirting. Plastering behind pipes is a pain for the inexperienced and test of good craftsman.However, my sympathy stops when they claim to have run out of plaster, something an experienced plaster would not allow to happen. As you have offered to pay for additional plaster their attitude raises questions.
Assuming you have price for job, counter their " pay us for work done" with :-" when I get it completed I'll deduct the cost from your price and pay you the balance".

A plaster wouldn't be expected to take the boiler off the wall and electricity/gas meters. They tend to expect an empty room.
They should plaster as tight as possible though.

Assuming you have price for job, counter their " pay us for work done" with :-" when I get it completed I'll deduct the cost from your price and pay you the balance".

^^^ This. I was trying to find a way of saying that last night but brain was addled...

Thanks everyone.

The guys have done a bit more plastering but not around the electricity metre as they said electricity and wet plaster don't mix which I understand.

They were starting to place the units around the kitchen where they will be fixed later I presume. On Googling the order of things I thought that all the walls should be painted first. They say that only the tops walls need to be and that's how they do even really expensive kitchens (which mine isn't ). If I insist on all walls being painted they will leave for two days whilst the wall dries out to go and work elsewhere. This even though there's another room to be painted but it's got a lot of the kitchen stuff in it. I've got 10 minutes to decide. Is it acceptable to leave bare plastered walls behind the bottom units? What should I do?

I would be a lot less worried about missing paint than about missing plaster. Are they saying the walls are too wet to paint? In which case I wouldn't want the units put up yet. Or two days for the paint to dry?

Don't paint on fresh plaster, paint will go powdery and rub off. Better to let plaster dry 5 days and even then use matt emulsion, mist coat first. Avoid silk finish or washable paints on fresh plaster as plaster needs to breath. Don't paint where you are going to tile.

They don't want to paint behind the bottom units as they think it's unnecessary as the area won't be seen. They say they will wait until the plaster is fully dry before fixing them to the wall. They have been using what seems like a super powerful dehumidifier to speed up the drying process. Wall above will be painted before the top cabinets go on.

I worried about the plaster behind the bottom units not being sealed first, especially around the sink area. I suppose I always think about the worst that could happen and want to take preventative measures. As I have been told the guys have been fitting kitchens and other home improvements for a long time and this is how they do things. Time is money obviously and what do I know As the homeowner though I just want a good job done and not just an okay job.

I can see how it looks from their perspective in that fitters, plumbers etc must get fed up from people quering things after googling how things should be done!

So I've now caved in and let them go ahead and do it their way. I'm regretting it already. I know I'm such a wuss!

It will be fine. See the finished product first.

I ripped the kitchen out of my house and found a small radiator still bolted to the wall behind the false backs.
Pipework still attached but rad turned off by valves lol.

I guess the people who fitted it were really in a hurry.

You made me laugh Newcastle Phil which is what I needed after the day I've had. Thanks.

Yes I'll try and think that it should look good in the end and try not to focus so much on the process.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Boiler and plastering in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock