Discuss Blue stains in sink in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all,
I've moved into a new house a few months ago and these blue stains have been building up in the bathroom sinks. I've tried googling and it sounds like it's from copper pipes. Does anyone know how big a job this will be to fix? Thanks.

Attachments

• 20210207_123136.jpg
    20210207_123136.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 18
Flux by the look of it

Is the tap dripping and leaving limscale which is picking up the colour from another source e.g. washing powder if washing clothes in sink or soap or shampoo with some blue in it.
There's a spot of blue fluid near the bottom of the plastic bottle. What is that?
Screenshot_20210207-175617_Samsung Internet.jpg

If the water was drained down for an extended period before you moved in the copper pipes will oxidise and you will get some discoloration until the particles of oxide have been flushed out.
That looks excessive though, a house I recently worked on had some greeny/blue marks running down the ceramic bath from a tap that had been dripping slowly for years, was much fainter than your mark and the colour wasn't as deep.
They had a parrot and wouldn't use any chemicals to clean it because chemicals can harm the bird, they cleaned it off with bicarb and vinegar. Not sure how difficult it was for them but the stain had gone about a week later when I went back.

If the water was drained down for an extended period before you moved in the copper pipes will oxidise and you will get some discoloration until the particles of oxide have been flushed out.
That looks excessive though, a house I recently worked on had some greeny/blue marks running down the ceramic bath from a tap that had been dripping slowly for years, was much fainter than your mark and the colour wasn't as deep.
They had a parrot and wouldn't use any chemicals to clean it because chemicals can harm the bird, they cleaned it off with bicarb and vinegar. Not sure how difficult it was for them but the stain had gone about a week later when I went back.
No parrots to worry about here haha. The house was occupied right up until we moved in so if it was drained down I don't think it would have been recent. I was surprised by the colour too we can certainly clean it away but ideally Id like to get to the bottom of it.

Have seen this few times locally on properties with there own water supply basicly wells about 10mts deep
Copper pipe tends to pinhole due to water being acidic copper cylinders don't last long either. One property domestic totally repiped in plastic with stainless steel cylinder .
I would suggest op has a full analysis of there water supply done.

Reply to Blue stains in sink in the DIY Plumbing Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone...
Replies
Views
my bathroom sink (installed 2017) was broken recently and needs replacing. on inspection there is no brand name and only a few markings so I'm...
Replies
Views
Morning, Moved house a few months ago and first issue is having a slight leak on tap in kitchen. Went under sink to turn off water and there are...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
The Water Board have just replaced the main water supply to our property. We have a ground floor combi boiler. The central heating system for the...
Replies
Views
Hi I'd be very grateful for any advice. My Ariston microGenus boiler is at least 20 years old. Every few years I've had to repressurize it. I've...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock