Search the forum,

Discuss blow off not back to wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

plumben

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
What would you class a blow off pipe that's not back to the wall or 150mm off the floor as AR or NCS
Id class it as AR but my boss said NCS but if it was my name going on the ticket id say AR

i wouldn't have though thats a gas safety issue so would just mention it to the customer to make them aware.
( maybe put a note on the invoice paperwork)

i wouldn't have though thats a gas safety issue so would just mention it to the customer to make them aware.
( maybe put a note on the invoice paperwork)

its connected to a gas appliance though

Personally I would go out to the van and get a bit if pipe and an elbow and sort it.

Would be quicker than writing out a warning notice.

yes it is, but in my opinion I wouldn't AR it and turn their boiler off over that.

You wouldn't turn someone's boiler off for AR would you?
I thought you only cap it off if it's ID or 3xAR witch is then ID isn't it?

If it;s AR with their permission I'd turn it off.
If it's ID I'd cap it off

Last edited:
No. Three AR does not become ID.

Yep! That totting up rule only applies to flueless appliances.

OP - PRV not turned back to wall is not covered under GUISP therefore can't be classed as NCS or AR. I had a similar one where it was straight through the wall at head height, right above a footpath. Not even an elbow pointing down. Gas Safe said it's outside gas scope so outside scope of GUISP.

OP - PRV not turned back to wall is not covered under GUISP therefore can't be classed as NCS or AR. I had a similar one where it was straight through the wall at head height, right above a footpath. Not even an elbow pointing down. Gas Safe said it's outside gas scope so outside scope of GUISP.

Cheers masood , a bit of sense at last lol

Just make a note of it on service sheet or cp12 and move on to the next. Gas safe told me the same as masood that it's not covered under the gas regs so just note it down.

So in this case if you couldn't rectify the blow off there and then or if landlord/home owner didn't want you too,
Would you just make a note in the defects box on the cp12 to cover yourself

as before not a gas safe issue, but just make it right and charge them accordingly

The totting up rule applies when two or more specific flueing and/or ventilation related situations
are identified as NCS it may be appropriate to treat the situation as AR.

I am quite sure that no such situation applies to any amount of ARs on any type of appliance would
be elevated to ID. (I would be happy to be put right if anyone can point to the regulation applying
to this)

In college I got told 2 x NCS = ar, 2 x ar = ID on all appliances.
surely this is an unvented issue under G3 regulations isn't it?

So in this case if you couldn't rectify the blow off there and then or if landlord/home owner didn't want you too,
Would you just make a note in the defects box on the cp12 to cover yourself

Yep, make a note on CP12, mention on invoice that you strongly advise getting if rectified. Beyond that, it's landlord / homeowners's problem if someone is scalded.

2 x ncs so....for eg.

1x ncs compartment clearance measurements not to MI
1x ncs no cross bonding on old consumer unit

= at risk

Nope

In college I got told 2 x NCS = ar, 2 x ar = ID on all appliances.
surely this is an unvented issue under G3 regulations isn't it?

That is definitely not correct AFAIK. More than happy to be corrected if someone can find an authoritative reference.

I dont think that's quite right masood.
Applies to more than flueless for sure

That's what I was told by Gas Safe. I'm more than happy to be corrected if you can find a reference. I looked for a definitive answer before ringing Gas Safe and couldn't find one.

That is definitely not correct AFAIK. More than happy to be corrected if someone can find an authoritative reference.

Tb001 refers to multiple ncs for flueing and ventilation issues.
It does not state flueless.
Infact the example it uses is specifically open flued

Its pish Mas

2 x NCS on an open flue could be escalated to an AR following a risk assessment and using your engineering judgement.
As the bus with the engineering judgement left around 1985 most would automatically AR it :lol:

Tb001 refers to multiple ncs for flueing and ventilation issues.
It does not state flueless.
Infact the example it uses is specifically open flued

Sorry, I meant open-flued, not flueless. Bit hard to find flueing faults on flueless appliances! :)

That's what I've got down in my college notes 2or3 x ncs becomes AR and 2 x AR becomes ID but I might of wrote it down wrong but I stand corrected but ill check on Tuesday with my tutor and see what he says

its prob not worth the worry. if the installer could not be bothered to finish the simple blow off pipe then the gas will be undersized and the flue made of cheese.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to blow off not back to wall in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
D
Pipes for thermostat shower have been fitted at different heights. Any way of rectifying without ripping all tiles. So for clarity 15mm pipes sunk into wall behind bath. Walls have fresh tiles. Have realised as about to fit shower these pipes one is set higher than the other. If you fit a...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all, this is probably a daft question but I need to run my cold feed from one side of my wall mounted boiler to the other. Running it beneath the boiler is difficult with lots of obstacles, is it okay if I run soldered copper over / across the top of the boiler? It'll be about 4" off the top...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock