Search the forum,

Discuss Blocked gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannypipe

Esteemed
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Subscribed
I've got a customer with a blocked gas pipe.

He's had transco out twice, and they've confirmed it. I've traced the run (half of which is buried under his patio).

Its not undersized but when the put the hob on and the boiler kicks in the flame on the hob almost goes out.

I haven't checked WP at the appliances but checked it at the meter and it's all OK.

So anyway, I disconnected the boiler and hob, and put lever iso's on the pipe work. Disconnected at the meter, and rigged up the compressor. Gave it all a good blow out. (Gave it 8 bar dynamic pressure, as I was getting no crap out at lower pressures.

Nothing major came out. But there was something in the air, as we were all coughing! I said to the customer, I doubted it would make much difference as I didn't blow anything substantial out. Then attached everything again and voila the problem was gone.

That lasted two days, got a call today the problem is back.

Customer reckons the main gas main is probably ancient, so could be rust particles blocking it I guess. Anyone come across this? Any ideas to throw around?

Blast her out again and stick a Y strainer in at the meter, that way if you catch anything you've evidence to have a pop at transco.

It's copper from the meter. Can't remember what comes out the ground to the meter think it was copper too but it must convert to steel at done point I'm sure.

Good shout with the strainer and to blast in both directions. Only went the one way before. Into the property. Frustrating one. Thanks chaps.

Like I said there is a bit of a run under the patio that I assume us 28mm copper but that could be inch barrel for all I know.

Hmm, think you can push a mouse/cable down it? Or you could invest in one of these laptop 15mextension cams?

It will be cornflakes . Fill service with water put FB ISo on end with vent to atmosphere . Close ISo charge with water to about 4 bar then open ISo. Should get lots out. Doubt you will clear it muck sits In Low spots. Also just shake meter upside down onto white paper and vent ecv onto some kitchen roll .

I haven't had a blocked pipe, but I have had it where grey flakey stuff was building up on the walls of the copper and were flaking off and blocking the gas valve on a boiler. I fitted a filter from BES on the supply to stop it clogging to valve again.

[DLMURL="http://www.ciphe.org.uk/Professional/Public-Health/Black-Dust/"]Black Dust - CIPHE[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had a blocked gas valve using Stoke a few times. Not why, but had lots of flaky grey stuff put of 2 sigma valves.

Have you been there when it has done it?
You need to be doing working pressures at appliances and meter in fault conditions.
To me it sounds more like an intermittently sticking meter or governor.

Had a few like this over last few years. It appears like faulty gov, but if you check meter it's giving 21 and boiler 12. Normally in full chatt on DHW

Cheers for all the comments. Customer has had supplier out twice and and so governor must have been checked? Not been there when they've come. I checked working pressure at meter and it was fine but I take your point. I have one of those ended scope cameras. It won't get round the first bend Billy!

Customer asked me if I could fit a filter on it after the meter. I said no. Didn't think it would be allowed. Said he has one on the gas valve to boiler but not on the hob. Seems I was wrong.

Took the meter off when I blasted it last time. It looked clean but I will be more thorough this time. It certainly could be collapses under the patio. That's a very good point.

had this before. sounds to me like the meter governor is knackered. works fine for days then all of a sudden the gas stops and restarts intermittently. working pressure fine when tested at both ends. get transco to swap governor. claim low working pressure they'll be pretty quick to come out.

Found the problem. Water in the pipe. I blew it through the other way and got easily a pint out if it.

I then rigged the compressor up with the meter end blanked off and high pressure tested it. The patio outside started bubbling when I threw the lever valve. So tomorrow I'll have the apprentice dig it up and go from there. Cheers for the replies everyone.

de7eha8y.jpg
7egu3e6a.jpg

So the lad dug it out today, and as fast as he could dig the hole filled up with water!

Got the pump and cleared it out. Found the problem. Leaking joint. I'm amazed it hasn't become a problem sooner. I'll be cutting the leaking joint out tomorrow.

It's a piece of yellow MDPE stuffed into a 28mm compression fitting, with epoxy resin squidged around it.

We need to dig further away from the joint so I can cut the pipe and put a proper union in. Shocked. It was peeing out gas.

1009987_10151869065736744_1828153221_n.jpg1016569_10151869066356744_1653303618_n.jpgThe bubbles in picture one are with the compressor attached, not bubbles from the pump. It looked like a jacuzzi.

uvy9a4a5.jpg
vanuva8u.jpg
evury8e2.jpg

Must have been leaking a while. When we removed the dodgy joint I found a 28mm compression coupling stuffed into the 32mm mdpe gas pipe. Then some epoxy resin had been smushed around it. What a cowboy.

We worked until gone 8 and it was in some mental storm. I had to drop the pop up gazebo as it was going to blow away. Soaked through to my under pants but got the couples gas line blown through, tested, purged and the boiler on. So they were happy!

Was it the gas networks that done it then? crazy stuff :(

No, I don't think so mate. Customer isn't sure who fitted it as the run was altered 15 years ago when the extension was built.

It must have been leaking a while but it's only now the water table is so high it's blocked the pipe. Somepeople just don't care, and some are just incompetent. I'm not going to judge it, just pleased to have it done.

We were cold and wet yesterday, and as I sweated the new 28mm coupling in place, the solder didn't run. Even though I had cleaned the joint I think it was the residue from the denso tape. So I cut the coupling out. Went to get another from the van. I was out of them! It was about 7.30pm. So I went back to my lockup and grabbed some, and back to the job to try again. At that point, crying was possibly an option! :0

Always get a better sense of satisfaction from a difficult job though!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Blocked gas pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock