Discuss Bill problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Muscle750

Ive recently had some work done to our house the builder sub contracted a plumber of his choice in the builders original estimate he quoted me £820 for the plumbing, In the course of the work been carried out we had quite a few problems due to bad workmanship (please see my previous posts). Two weeks ago on a saturday morning the first time the shower was used it nearly scalded my wife as it was so hot and you couldnt turn it down the cold had no effect whatsoever, the heated towel rail didnt work at all and the central heating still req bleeding. I phoned the builder he in turned phone the plumber who then it seems again phoned another plumber who came and put the job right the shower controls were installed totally wrong the towel rail valve was broke and he bled the system This morning ive been handed a bill for the plumbing work to the tune of £1300:eek:
Ive had a somewhat "frank" conversation with the builder telling him that i wasnt prepared to pay this as i was quoted £820 not £1300 he then goes on to say that it didnt included a dergo valve or extension by approx 4 ft of stench pipe infact he even went as far as to say did i want him round to have a face to face. The first plumber then phones and says im owed and thats it telling all his work was checked by himself personally and then goes onto almost unbelievably say that he sub contacted the saturday morning plumber as he "Is a better plumber than me"
Now anyone know where i stand legally whilst i agree that the valve and pipe extensuion werent originally quoted for i would have thought that whist im prepared to pay the £820 its between the builder and the plumber to sort it. Ive asked to see every invoice and complete documentation of labour breakdown etc
The builder also said that he had heard that i had been slagging him off behind his back to his carpet fitter and also the saturday morning plumber this is totally unfounded

you will need to seek consumer rights on this as it is hard to take saids when I only have your side of the story, keep all documents and speak to your local Citizens advise

Muscle 750,

I'll bet you'll be glad when you see the back of these lot, I've been following your posts and I know the trouble you've had.

As a plumber myself I know sometimes costs can spiral out of control on certain jobs as there are many unforseens.

I saw the picture of the plumbers workmanship and it was bad, I would never quote an amount and then just increase it when finished even if I'd used extra parts, I'd take the hit and make sure I got it right the next time.

So this extra £480 odd, what exactly is it for?

YJe only extra i can see is a extension of the stench pipe and the fitting and supply of a dergo valve a good friend of mine is manager of a plumbase outlet ive emailed him a complete list of everything i can see and think of in materials rad sizes etc he is going to price it all up for me. I think what hes done is stuck the second plumbers bill rectifying his mistakes onto me.

the builder is the bum here,get all your own material lists / prices and compare them to the builders!!! try and gauge the time spent by the plumber and when u have all your info then contact consumer rights ...best of luck..keep us posted

Obtaining "cost" of product is irrelevant. A trader is entitled to mark up products, indeed, he is required to if he wishes to stay in business.

The main point here is the OP's use of the word "QUOTE". This should contain the terms of the contract. a QUOTATION refers to a legally binding agreement, and so a builder can not increase the charge, unless the QUOTE has a clause built in, or unless you have agreed or requested extra work If, though, the term used is ESTIMATE, then it is difficult to avoid increased charges, and you may have to resort to court via the Small Claims procedure, citing unfair charges.

Did your QUOTE say you would be responsible for paying contractors. If it contained a single total charge, payable to the builder, then HE is responsible for the ENTIRE job, and it is for him to sort out the rectification. He may though have written the quote to class himself as YOUR agent, making you responsible for subbies.

Best advice says try to break everything down logically, and see where it takes you.

Having recieved the prices from a friend of mine who is a manager in a plumbbase outlet even been excessive in my guesses on pipes valves etc his price was still only £475 over £400 less than the materials listed on the invoice i recieved yesterday and as for the comment on marking up yes ok to a point 10 maybe 15% the labour is surely where the the profit lies As i said the builder quoted me £820 he employed the sub plumber i agreed to the quotation so to me they got to sort it between themselves i have contacted trading standards and they are going to investigate and comer back to me.
I even told the builder at one point that i didnt want him back on site as the standard of workmanship was so poor. (ref plumber)Infact if it does go to court which i doubt i am quite looking forward to seeing his face when i show the pictures of his workmanship that have been slated on here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Bill problem in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock