Search the forum,

Discuss Best valve/tap type to limit water supply to reservoir in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

We just had a waterhole bored and were lucky enough to find a flowing artesian, which delivers just over 500 gallons an hour without needing a pump. We need to feed only about a litre a minute into our reservoir, as this is sufficient for our rural household needs. I installed a Speedfit stopcock into the 32mm MDPE feedpipe, but find it is not able to slow the flow sufficiently - it just stops the flow if I wind it down to near what I want. Plus John Guest say ""The valves normally last a long time however if you have water constantly flowing through the valve and using it as pressure limiter there would be more wear on the internals so it may not last long".
We like to keep the water flowing albeit slowly, as this avoids pipe, filters etc freezing in winter and also keeps the reservoir refreshed. Any surplus, ie when the reservoir is full, runs into our sheep trough and then back into the stream. We devised this system some 40 years ago and it works well but our old spring dried up last year hence the borehole to replace it.
Advice needed please! Would a Pegler-type ball valve be a better option? if not, what?
Thanks

Tbh you need a flow regulating valve you won’t find them in 32mm or 1” what’s the reason for a 32mm service that’s only doing 1lpm ?

Tbh you need a flow regulating valve you won’t find them in 32mm or 1” what’s the reason for a 32mm service that’s only doing 1lpm ?
Cheers Shaun: the borehole installer put in the 32mm pipe, which goes underground 25 metres towards the reservoir. I can leave the stopcock in the line, so I can switch off totally if needed, but step down to a narrower pipe. Do any of the MDPE sizes take a flow regulating valve, if so could you name a brand? If not MDPE then I could put it amongst the filter/UV equipment, which is likely to be 22mm copper. Again, a brand name would be useful, is Pegler among them? Thanks for your advice!

Pegler-type ball valve is a great option. These valves are designed for precise flow regulation and should work better for your application. It's important to choose a valve that can handle the constant flow you require without wearing out quickly. You could try visiting a Houston plumbing supply store to explore different valve options and get expert advice on selecting the right one for your specific situation. They can help you find a durable valve that suits your needs and ensures a consistent, slow flow of water without causing any issues.

Reply to Best valve/tap type to limit water supply to reservoir in the UK Plumbing Forum | Plumbing Advice area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock