Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss best drill for general plumbing work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys im just trying to start off as a plumber and trying to building up some decent tools, had brilliant info from previous threads so thanks alot but stuck as to know what would be the best all round drill for general plumbing, heard makitas the kiddie?

Don't be temped by any £99 offers with nicads. Li ion are they way to go and Makita bhp452 is a good all rounder.
Enough torque to shear 5" screws on the wrong setting and light enough to dri wall a ceiling up.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

image.jpg
One like this

When my old one finally gives up I'm tempted by Worx Profressional. Not just cos their a nice green colour but they come with a 3 year gaurentee and Li ion battery. The sales guy says they are made in the same factory are Makita and same tech; but who knows for sure.
I confess I brought a Ryobi when funds were low, no, not cos they are also a nice green colour. (Funds were very low) its too heavy and battery runs out too fast and takes too long to recharge- cost £99:) so as Phil said- stear clear of the £99 ones.

If your even thinking of makita do your research on their batteries as in my opinion they are shocking. 18v lithium are never 3ah even when new, cells fail even on the new batteries with the star on them and you try getting a replacement from makita when you get the flashing death on the charger. If money is no issue festool or hilti do it for me. Oh and good look with the bank loan.......:wink_smile:

I use the m12 milwaukee drill/driver. Works fine for driving in screws and drilling most holes in wood/metal. There is also loads of tools in the range.
Just got the new m12 sds rotary hammer and its really powerful. much better than i expected.

I dont know what I would do without My Makitas and there 18V Li ion battery's. The drill and torque driver are excellent and the charger recharges fast (came as 1 kit with 2 batteries for about £320). The only thing that would tempt me away are the equally quality 18v Milwaukee kit which is made by AEG or the actual AEG stuff. Makita seems to have more usefull kit that works on the same 18v batteries though and the angle drill has been very usefull when drilling joists.

I dont know what I would do without My Makitas and there 18V Li ion battery's. The drill and torque driver are excellent and the charger recharges fast (came as 1 kit with 2 batteries for about £320). The only thing that would tempt me away are the equally quality 18v Milwaukee kit which is made by AEG or the actual AEG stuff. Makita seems to have more usefull kit that works on the same 18v batteries though and the angle drill has been very usefull when drilling joists.

Do you work for makita by any chance

Dewalt for me everytime. My 18v has enough torque to spin a fat lady holding tight and the batteries charge in about 40 minutes.

Sadly no. Just a Makita fan boy, I live about 15 minutes from their european HQ which is good when you kill a battery as they replace them for nought.
i dont think they do....il sell you 7 batteries if they change them for free??

Don't be temped by any £99 offers with nicads. Li ion are they way to go and Makita bhp452 is a good all rounder.
Enough torque to shear 5" screws on the wrong setting and light enough to dri wall a ceiling up.
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I bought a £99 Hitachi 14.4 volt from PTS 5 years ago still going strong now with the same batteries been seriously abused but the dam thing won't die wish it would then I'd have an excuse to buy milwaukee

thank you lads brilliant feedback for someone like myself choosing from the huge variety! daunting really but would rather wait save up and get something worthwhile rather than learn the hard way! joys of technology u lot are going to save me lots of hassle i can imagine, cheers again

[QUOTE

all apprentices should be made to use this type of drill first. :)[/QUOTE]

The first cordless drill! Lol!

Call in at your nearest Hilti store & see what prices they can do for you. Might surprise you how their prices compare with other drills.

$%28KGrHqN,%21rUF%21d%21TRpCDBQbgMC,Dsw%7E%7E60_12.JPG

all apprentices should be made to use this type of drill first. :)

I've still got a set in the garage. When the apocalypse comes and there's no leccy I'll be the only one round here that will still be able to fit boilers.

not an easy one. I think you need a few drills I have a garage load of things but carry
1, lightweight cordless 18v hitachi (makita is a bit heavy)
2, 24v sds 3 function milwakee
3, corded multi drill hilti
4, core bit drill perles
for a begginer i would suggest a makita 18v
and a corded combi 3 function makita is handy cheap enough to do anything. I have cut 6 inch core bit holes.
they dont last forever and you will chop and change I'm guessing you don't have bottom less pockets. the best wat is to try some one elses and ask them. Im sure someone is going to tell you to buy a £10 grand protool, problem is when it gets nicked you cry. Protool are the dogs dangely bits though. recently bought the jigsaw but got the mayfell circ in stead of the protool/festool. I'd also look at a fein multimaster had mine for 10 years don't know how i lived without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best drill for general plumbing work? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock