Search the forum,

Discuss best angle grinder blade to cut through cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber89

gotta cut through some cast iron soil pipe, havent done it for ages and cant rememebr what type of angle grinder blade i used,
i currently have a diamond blade in there at the moment, and it seems to go through everything and anything,
will that be suitable to the cast iron ? cheers

isnt there only 2 blades for grinders ?? one for metal and one for stone ?? thats as far as i know anyway, usual metal disc was fine for me

I use a 1mm metal blade in my battery makita

the diamond blade is for masonry, it would probably cut through but sounds like an expensive option!
do you have to cut the cast iron? could you not connect into a joint lower down?

Depends on the grade of diamond blade in there at the minute, some are fine others wont like it much.... Check the MIs to see, might save you buying a new blade, or might stop you killing a pricey diamond one :)

I use the same as SimonJohns, a nice thin 1mm metal cutting disk - Watch your fingers if it's a 4" grinder though as you may be tempted to remove the guard to get better access.
I did last year and it made right mess when it went through my glove and straight into my finger when it snatched on the soilpipe!

Depends on the grade of diamond blade in there at the minute, some are fine others wont like it much.... Check the MIs to see, might save you buying a new blade, or might stop you killing a pricey diamond one :)

I use the same as SimonJohns, a nice thin 1mm metal cutting disk - Watch your fingers if it's a 4" grinder though as you may be tempted to remove the guard to get better access.
I did last year and it made right mess when it went through my glove and straight into my finger when it snatched on the soilpipe!

I bet there was no blood lol

Hardly any, it was just popped open like an over cooked sasage... you could see tendon and everything :hurl:
Guess the blade must've been hot enough to seal the edges!

yeah i know because ive seen it before lol, not me though, just some guy i worked with that didnt know how to hold it correctly nearlly chopped 3 his fingers off but there was no blood lol just burnt the wound, dont know the correct medical term for it though lol

Last edited:
chopped 3 his fingers off but there was no blood lol just burnt the wound, dont know the correct medical term for it though lol

Cauterised or lucky depending on who is looking at it.

A diamond blade, even one of those £3 blackspur ones will cut through cast or other metal no problem and won't affect the blade. It is easier too use a thin metal one tho as a diamond one will bounce a bit until it bites.

They sell cutting disks for specific for some metals. We use a lot of Stainless Steel (Inox) disks in our workshop. Not sure if they make specifically for cast iron though.

A good hacksaw with a fine hss blade( Bacho or Eclipse ) will cut it in under 2 min, no blood, split fingers or protective gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best angle grinder blade to cut through cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Just started gound work on self build bungalow and wondering best way to do below ground soil pipes. For toilet I was going to go straight down through slab and out through deadwork into a manhole. I will work out falls from manhole and set the height of the waste water system as required. For...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I seemed to have a blockage in kitchen sink. A plumber came and cleared all the pipework that is visible inside my home (there was debris and pebbles!) We saw that the pipe that takes water down the gutter was visibly full to the top. He said he will return with a coil to push through...
Replies
Views
S
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock