Search the forum,

Discuss best angle grinder blade to cut through cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

plumber89

gotta cut through some cast iron soil pipe, havent done it for ages and cant rememebr what type of angle grinder blade i used,
i currently have a diamond blade in there at the moment, and it seems to go through everything and anything,
will that be suitable to the cast iron ? cheers

isnt there only 2 blades for grinders ?? one for metal and one for stone ?? thats as far as i know anyway, usual metal disc was fine for me

I use a 1mm metal blade in my battery makita

the diamond blade is for masonry, it would probably cut through but sounds like an expensive option!
do you have to cut the cast iron? could you not connect into a joint lower down?

Depends on the grade of diamond blade in there at the minute, some are fine others wont like it much.... Check the MIs to see, might save you buying a new blade, or might stop you killing a pricey diamond one :)

I use the same as SimonJohns, a nice thin 1mm metal cutting disk - Watch your fingers if it's a 4" grinder though as you may be tempted to remove the guard to get better access.
I did last year and it made right mess when it went through my glove and straight into my finger when it snatched on the soilpipe!

Depends on the grade of diamond blade in there at the minute, some are fine others wont like it much.... Check the MIs to see, might save you buying a new blade, or might stop you killing a pricey diamond one :)

I use the same as SimonJohns, a nice thin 1mm metal cutting disk - Watch your fingers if it's a 4" grinder though as you may be tempted to remove the guard to get better access.
I did last year and it made right mess when it went through my glove and straight into my finger when it snatched on the soilpipe!

I bet there was no blood lol

Hardly any, it was just popped open like an over cooked sasage... you could see tendon and everything :hurl:
Guess the blade must've been hot enough to seal the edges!

yeah i know because ive seen it before lol, not me though, just some guy i worked with that didnt know how to hold it correctly nearlly chopped 3 his fingers off but there was no blood lol just burnt the wound, dont know the correct medical term for it though lol

Last edited:
chopped 3 his fingers off but there was no blood lol just burnt the wound, dont know the correct medical term for it though lol

Cauterised or lucky depending on who is looking at it.

A diamond blade, even one of those Ā£3 blackspur ones will cut through cast or other metal no problem and won't affect the blade. It is easier too use a thin metal one tho as a diamond one will bounce a bit until it bites.

They sell cutting disks for specific for some metals. We use a lot of Stainless Steel (Inox) disks in our workshop. Not sure if they make specifically for cast iron though.

A good hacksaw with a fine hss blade( Bacho or Eclipse ) will cut it in under 2 min, no blood, split fingers or protective gear

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to best angle grinder blade to cut through cast iron soil pipe in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have an old steel water mains pipe (approx 45mm) that I need to connect to a new pehd water mains (25mm). I can't get at it to create a new thread so what's the best way of connecting the two? Cheers, Peter
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock