Search the forum,

Discuss Bathrooms to Love - Moods - any good ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Looking for Sanitaryware - went to a local supplier and picked up "Bathrooms to Love" catalogue. I like the look of some of the sanitaryware - Tilia, Cilantro and Amyris. I am going for a closed couple cistern with back to the wall - never had one like that before - are there any downsides to these types of toilets?

They come with a lifetime warranty - so has anyone anything good or bad to say about them before I take the plunge.

main.jpg

Life time warranty.

I would love to see the small print!!!

Nothing wrong with wall faced close coupled toiler suites.
Just make sure the pan connector doesn't leak before final fixing of pan

So are they harder when it comes to repairing them?

They didnt have the one on show -so is the bottom shroud / cover made of ceramic or just a removable plastic cover?
Hell yes unless there is an access panel in the wall.

They vary, the top can be a cover over the cistern sometimes.

Tip: How much is a replacement seat? £100?, £300?

The toilets that I know / understand are the classic cistern ontop and toilet pan below with the waste pipe exposed. Everything simple and works. So simple in fact that I was able to replace the diaphragm on my old toilet.

I am looking at a closed couple back to wall - not one that has the cistern enclosed. Something like in the pic above.

Seat costs? Not looked at that but will do - thanks.

Design for designs sake!

Close coupled back to wall toilets definitely were not invented by a plumber.

Unless the fill and flush valve can be changed from the top (you need to know the manufacturer of these valves) this type of toilet can be a nightmare to replace these valves.
Also with a normal close coupled or a back to wall with a cistern in a unit an isolation valve can be installed, this is useful for maintenance or to temporarily shut off the water until you can repair if the cistern is constantly running.
With the close coupled back to wall the isolation valve is hidden ( if fitted )

Most of them require you to remove the entire lavatory to do the simple job replacing an inlet valve. Makes this an expensive job and usually means you have to try and clean off silicone from base of pan and floor , then redo it (everyone hates this) . As mentioned it is worth getting as isolating valve In somewhere (eaves, airing cupboard, under bath, under vanity unit etc) even if this means curcuitous pipework.
Often, if there is one, it’s put in behind the pan so that you have to pull the lav forwards to get to it - pain.

If you are going to get one, get a model with the water plumbing into the back of the cistern.
That way, to turn the water off and replace an inlet valve all you have to do is lift the cistern lid to turn the water off.

As for the sealing rubber between the cistern and the pan, if that leaks, not a big job to replace that either.
Undo the cistern from the pan, from fixings inside cistern.
Same process fro changing flush valve, although decent brands, you can change the flushvalve without removing the cistern, they just un-clip.

I did a pan last year that had the water inlet & valve behind the shroud of the pan.
Told the customer not to call me to replace the inlet valve if it starts leaking - call the supplier.
Would have to remove the whole suite to replace inlet valve.

I did a pan last year that had the water inlet & valve behind the shroud of the pan.
Most of them you be like this.

Now if you could get one where inlet valve and isolation were accessible inside cistern AND it had a syphon I’d be first in the queue... more likely to happen now there’s all this fuss about drop valves...

They are generally standard over here.
Water inlet comes into the back of the cistern on most close coupled wall suites.

The one I did last year that didn't, was bought by the customer from some cheap plumbing supplier.

That bathroom looks slick but also too long and very modern
Please explain, how can a bathroom be too long if the property has rooms this size?
I`ve seen plenty larger than my dining room in real life and the picture is an advert anyway.

Calm down dear, it`s only an advert! (For those old enough to remember) 😁

Please explain, how can a bathroom be too long if the property has rooms this size?
I`ve seen plenty larger than my dining room in real life and the picture is an advert anyway.

Calm down dear, it`s only an advert! (For those old enough to remember) 😁

That made me feel old!

If you are going to get one, get a model with the water plumbing into the back of the cistern.
That way, to turn the water off and replace an inlet valve all you have to do is lift the cistern lid to turn the water off.

As for the sealing rubber between the cistern and the pan, if that leaks, not a big job to replace that either.
Undo the cistern from the pan, from fixings inside cistern.
Same process fro changing flush valve, although decent brands, you can change the flushvalve without removing the cistern, they just un-clip.

Told the customer not to call me to replace the inlet valve if it starts leaking - call the supplier.
Would have to remove the whole suite to replace inlet valve.

Thanks for that.

With the way my bathroom is plumbed - I think I will be able to have an isolation valve under the floorboards - next to the wall - I am having cushioned flooring so will be able to pull it up to access the hatch.

Now onto the pan and cistern. I need to find a toilet where the inlet valve does not pass through the shroud of the pan below - as that would require possible removal of the pan to access the valve?

I will be getting a fill valve that can be replaced without taking the cistern off.

Reply to Bathrooms to Love - Moods - any good ? in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock