Discuss Basin Waste Support Bracket ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deaf Cat

Hiya,

Just wondering if you may have come across one of the above and maybe where I could get my hands on one?

Was doing a few bits today for a guy who flys around in a wheel chair, the pedestal in his bathroom has been removed to allow for easier turning around, the basin was a little loose as he uses it as a support quite often.

I remember seeing a chunky adjustable brack under the waste of a bathroom basin a while back, and thought that would be ideal for today, but scanned the web , asked my plumbing shop and can't seem to locate one, any ideas ?

Many thanks for any pointers or suggestions,
Cheers
DC

You can get metal basin support arms for a basin. PTS do them. I fix basins with 10mm grey wallplugs and 75mm long M10 Stainless Steel Coach bolts and washers, never moves! If going into a soft substrate like plasterboard, it's best to cut a section of wall out and fix plywood to it, then fit the Coach Bolts as normal but without the wall plugs.

Thanks for your reply,
Can't seem to find any thing on the PTS web site, but, are you talking about the brackets that support the basin from front to back on the left and right sides of the basin, if you are I'm afraid these won't fit as the basin is shaped like an upside dome and has smooth sloped sides, the actual waste is the only flat bit on the basin.
Yes I think it is 8mm studs with washers and nuts, I'd feel safer it it were M10/M12 for some reason :)
I was rather worried about a basin taking a fair amount of weight, body weight, on the front lip and something cracking and breaking, hence the thought of a waste support bracket....

twyfords made one for the sola basin if i remember correctly.

the bracket was in two pieces and the waste went through one part then bolted to the other which you fixed to the wall.

You can use a close couple wc bracket over the waste, connected to a length of M10 threaded rod (encase this in chrome pipe for aesthetics) and at the base of the rod screw this into a back plate and fix it to the floor. Very simple, cheap to buy and very effective.

I've seen basin wall hanging brackets, but usually for specific basins. I'm sure I've seen the generic type of wall hanging bracket you're talking about but a quick search doesn't bring up what I think I've seen...

System3's idea sounds good - also consider a grab rail adjacent to the basin (if the layout permits).

Many thanks for all your replies!

The Twyfords one sounds ideal but is proving rather tricky to track down, even to find a picture of it just to see if it is going to stand a chance of fitting, is rather tricky.

I did find this
[DLMURL="http://www.thomasdudley.co.uk/mc_brackets_bbs.asp"]Iron castings, foundries, casting parts, casting services, engineering foundry. | Brackets[/DLMURL]
About 4 or so page down button presses and some waste support brackets can be seen but, not adjustable :-(
I will have to pop back and have a measure, also try giving Twyford's a ring.

The close couple idea is pretty good :) may have to slightly bend things so the fixing is to the wall, as floor space is needed for feet swinging around in the wheel chair. Mind you I have a feeling with health and safety involved (warden patrolled flats) if it is not an item manufactured for the purpose, a DIY support may well not be allowed, I remain quite amazed at the red tape involded with health and safety.

Grab rails are already fitted all around but the basin seems to be favorite for support :-O

I was warned a while back that some basins that have big oval holes for the use of the basin fixing bolt kits, also need the pedestal for additional support, ie. manufacturer advises the pedestal needs to be used, and basin fixing bolts are not a stand alown support method! Hence the thought, it needs extra support, as the disabled guy is not exactly light.

Cheers
DC

Last edited by a moderator:
I have fitted the method mentioned above with the M10 screwed rod and close coupled bracket in schools, nurseries and a whole host of places where extra security is required. Because of the type of buildings I work in, completed works have an inspection and I've not failed one yet. This method although not a commercially made product is VERY strong and it also allows you to place it where you want.

Thanks for that, I will put the idea forward, as finding an off the shelf bracket is proving quite tricky. I'll dig out a close couple bracket tomorrow and see how I may tweek it a bit to get the M10 stud to run back to the wall somehow. I'm thinking even if I can get it to angle back to the wall at 45deg, it should give better support than a normal L shaped bracket :)
Cheers for the mention of you installing in schools etc.

The Twyford Sola brackets is like the D1089 picture. Fitted probably hundreds of them in the seventies. They had two bolts which had expandable rubber sleeving on the end, that went into two holes in the back of the basin and expanded to hold the basin as you tightened the nut that was directly against the basin. This left two threaded pieces of bolt sticking out of the back of the basin, then located in the holes on the back of the wall bracket to allow the basin to be fixed to the bracket with more nuts and washers. So you want a fixing kit with the bracket as well.

Must admit sometimes the bolt came out. It was like a long gutter bolt with a big head to stop the rubber spreading, but often in my experience the head was too small, So I would get a washer and cut one side off and put that behind the head to make the head area bigger and stop the rubber spreading over the head. It was a bit awkward to get into the holes on the back of the basin but it seemed to work better as you could tighten the bolt up more without it coming out. But not so much it broke the basin. Some basins also had hold back brackets as well as the wall bracket. And I think another maker beside Twyfords also made a similar sort of fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Basin Waste Support Bracket ? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I’m experimenting with the installation of a floating countertop / basin. At the top of the picture are the brackets I’m considering using. Below...
Replies
Views
My bathroom Basin was installed some years ago by a professional plumber. For whatever reason, the waste was fitted using silicone rather than...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Desperately in need of help. Getting very annoyed with myself Replaced the click plug in my bathroom for a new Basin Slotted one along...
Replies
Views
We have bought a stone basin for the bathroom and also bought a standard mushroom unslotted basin waste. The problem that we have is the recess...
Replies
Views
Hi All I own 2 flats and the upstairs/first floor tenant has contacted me to say that the toilet and basin are slow at draining and she thinks...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock