Search the forum,

Discuss Automatic Bypass Valve After Mid-Position Valve in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

I've just replaced a couple of radiators in my Y plan system which now means that every radiator has a TRV. I don't have a good candidate (such as a towel radiator) to leave with two lockshields so I need to install an automatic bypass on the heating loop.

My boiler/pump/mid-position valve installation is very cramped so I just wanted to check that it makes no difference installing the bypass valve a bit further along the heating loop, after the mid-position.

Does that sound OK?

doesnt need an auto bypass as its a mid position

Hi Shaun. What about if the main stat is calling for heat (but not hot water) and the TRVs are all closed down?

I understand it's common to have a rad without a TRV so there's always flow but that doesn't suit this situation.

even the bathroom rad has a trv ? and makes no difference if you install it further down eg end of line

even the bathroom rad has a trv ? and makes no difference if you install it further down eg end of line

No bathroom radiator, in fact only one rad upstairs 😛 — it's an old property renovation in progress.

Ok, that's what I thought. As long as the bypass maintains flow it will do its job.

Depending on the type of circ pump installed you may find it very difficult to set up the ABV properly to give a minimum flow rate without either excessive by pass or none at all, you could consider just installing a mini ball valve (screw driver slotted) in the bypass and adjust this to give your minimum flow when all TRV's are fully shut.

Thanks for the help. I did install an ABV and in fact managed to fit it in between the pump and mid position valve as seems to be most common. I think it's adjusted about right because the pipework beyond the valve stays cold when the heating comes on but quickly heats up if the rads are closed down.

Reply to Automatic Bypass Valve After Mid-Position Valve in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up to 1.3. I've had an engineer look inside the boiler and he can't see anything wrong. I've checked the pipes all over the house and cannot see any...
Replies
Views
I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about this one. Granddaughter just moved house and this valve decided to leak when it was closed. When open its fine. Normally I have repacked the gland on...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock