Discuss Attaching close couple cistern to pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

medway

Hi

I bought a new toilet pan to attach to the cistern I already had, however it seems that after attaching the coupling kit that it stops the cistern from sitting flush on the pan leaving a cm gap(more or less the size of the bolt heads) where once the toilet is flushed it pours out of this at the back of pan.

I noticed on the old pan that it had a moulding which you placed the coupling plate and cistern on, the new pan is just completely flat and doest have this.

Does this mean that I have the wrong cistern for this pan? Or am I just not fixing it properly, I have tried to different donuts one small one which fits in the hole and a bigger one which sits on top both have the same outcome.

Any advice greatly appreciated before I waste anymore money on this :(

I'm afraid the pan is a mismatch for the cistern. The donut washer should fit tightly around the nut which holds the flush unit in place and sit over the hole in the pan so that when you tighten up the coupling from under the pan, the donut us squashed between cistern and pan creating a leak-proof seal.

You wont ever get a seal if there is a 1cm gap.

It's either exchange the pan for the correct one if you have a manufacturers name and model or ditch the cistern and buy the correct one for the new pan.

yea thought so though on other forums people are saying a gap is normal! so i guess i probably need a cistern that has holes in the base for attaching to pan, I just needed it confirmed before I waste more money on a new cistern :(

Thanks for your reply :)

If it's the thicker rubber donut washer, change it for the sponge type as these compress much easier.

I don't think its that simple system, medway is trying to replace a screw through cistern that fits onto a specially moulded part of the pan with a cistern that requires a coupling plate.

i probably need a cistern that has holes in the base for attaching to pan, I just needed it confirmed before I waste more money on a new cistern :)

well, thats where i would start!.
you have answered your own question.

do what steve says, get a diamond hole saw and drill 2 holes, if it works then you save some ££.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Attaching close couple cistern to pan in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We have 2 brand new cordless, battery powered press tools in stock, and flying off the shelves. Our TekTools TZ1930 & TZ1550 are packed with...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock