Discuss ASHP and multi fuel log burner combined system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

chris1943

Hi Guys
New to the forum so please bear with me. Seeking expert advice on how to proceed.
I moved into my current property 7 months ago and need to renovate the central heating system and DHW before next winter. Property is a late 1800's barn conversion currently running on an old inefficient heating oil boiler. No gas at all in village.
House will receive a considerable investment in insulation to loft, walls etc which have become very apparent during the cold spell last winter.
I am thinking about installing ASHP as a main provider of heating and hot water backed up by electric immersion. Wet underfloor heating is also an option I would like installed which would cover about 30-40% of ground floor.
What I would also like to do is to back this up with a log burner/ multi fuel stove with back bolier. The logistics of getting the plumbing there can be overcome but I would like to ask if anyone has experience of such an installation and is it a viable combination. I have read other posts regarding cylinders exploding and obviously want to get this right first time.
Very confused as conflicting info on main items needed. ie what type of cylinder would I need? Direct or indirect, Vented or unvented???
I have read that a dunsly baker neutralizer is required but not sure if this is needed or not and what it exactly does.
Any help would be gratefully recieved

Hi Guys
New to the forum so please bear with me. Seeking expert advice on how to proceed.
I moved into my current property 7 months ago and need to renovate the central heating system and DHW before next winter. Property is a late 1800's barn conversion currently running on an old inefficient heating oil boiler. No gas at all in village.
House will receive a considerable investment in insulation to loft, walls etc which have become very apparent during the cold spell last winter.
I am thinking about installing ASHP as a main provider of heating and hot water backed up by electric immersion. Wet underfloor heating is also an option I would like installed which would cover about 30-40% of ground floor.
What I would also like to do is to back this up with a log burner/ multi fuel stove with back bolier. The logistics of getting the plumbing there can be overcome but I would like to ask if anyone has experience of such an installation and is it a viable combination. I have read other posts regarding cylinders exploding and obviously want to get this right first time.
Very confused as conflicting info on main items needed. ie what type of cylinder would I need? Direct or indirect, Vented or unvented???
I have read that a dunsly baker neutralizer is required but not sure if this is needed or not and what it exactly does.
Any help would be gratefully recieved

Yes it is possible to combine multiple heat sources, and there are many ways of doing it where abouts in the country are you ?

I will be in the Newark area on Tuesday doing a solar job, I can offer some advice on the right system for you property,

Eco

I was just going to say Im sure Ecowarm is based in Lincs so he's probably the man for you.

From my perspective if you have land (which you probably do on a barn conversion) then a Ground Source Heat Pump would be more suitable than an ASHP. GSHP's give a better all year round return and running costs are less, the disadvantage being the cost of installation.

Get some overlay Underfloor heating in and possibly a twin coil cylinder with Solar and you could even end up getting a decent payback from the Gov's pot of funding called the renewable heat incentive which will pay you for every kwh of heat you create using your renewable technology.

Eco can explain all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to ASHP and multi fuel log burner combined system in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have recently moved into a house with a central heating system that runs from oil or/and the multi fuel stove. The water gets hot and then...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
Hi All...thx for the help in advance. I have recently installed a wood burner with back boiler heating system. Set up with gravity rad and header...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just a quick question. I have a log burner and a gas boiler on a dual fuel system (Central heating and Hot Water) either can do both. The...
Replies
Views
I'm planning to get an air source heat pump (ASHP) installed and I'm considering my options about the location of the water cylinder as I live in...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock