Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Asbestos? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Alex Boothby

Hi Guys,

Just a real quick one!

Doing so work in the bathroom and found that board that the tiles are stick to which cover the waste pipes is not in good condition.

I'm just slightly concerned it might be asbestos? What do you all think? Just plasterboard? Have seen that asbestos has been used in other similar projects.

IMG_0109.jpgIMG_0112.jpg

How old is the house and believe Asbestos is a darker Grey colour.

How old is the house and believe Asbestos is a darker Grey colour.

Thanks for the reply. House is 1975ish. To be honest all the tile work that is done on top of this 'plasterboard' is awful which hides the waste pipe. I think I will remove it all at replace boards and retile.

The pan connector has a slight leak around the rubber seal to toilet (lovely) so will be a good chance to replace that I guss

Thanks Rocketmanbkk -put my mind at rest!

Out of interest does anyone know why the waste pipe as well as going down to join with kitchen sink also goes up into the loft? I cant figure out why it would need to? Is it the soil stack vent of some kind?

Last edited by a moderator:
Wait until later when others have had a chance to look before you go ripping it out as I`ve had very limited experience with the stuff.

Don`t tile on to plasterboard, again others are better to advise on this than me.

Out of interest does anyone know why the waste pipe as well as going down to join with kitchen sink also goes up into the loft? I cant figure out why it would need to? Is it the soil stack vent of some kind?

Soil stacks can be internal and external, if it`s working then leave it alone.

costs more to get rid of plasterboard than asbestos nowadays!!!!!!!!

Absolutely no doubt that's plasterboard.

Asbestos doesn't have paper backing
And doesn't break up like that, it's fibrous so tends to hold together and crack.

This is a sheet of asbestos that was overlooked! Was in a bathroom date approx IMG_20150728_083845.jpg1952

Bath panel was cast. Whole place was last fitted out 1952. Kitchen was interesting.

Follow the soil stack up and see if it ends outside the property with an open end or grid or inside the loft with an air admittance valve (AAV). If it does its to allow air into the system.

As far as the board is concerned it's probably plasterboard. You should wear a good mask when removing PB anyway, but it's a pig to get rid of these days. Don't replace with plasterboard if it's in a wet area, OK for boxing in pipes though.

my advise is if in doubt make sure you've got a good mask on, take care not to break it up too much/make lots of dust, Stick a hoover on inside the room whilst working with the windows and doors open, if your really unsure get it tested

my advise is if in doubt make sure you've got a good mask on, take care not to break it up too much/make lots of dust, Stick a hoover on inside the room whilst working with the windows and doors open, if your really unsure get it tested

Actually all the removal guys do is spray or paint it with PVA, double bag it and take to the tip. We had an insurance claim a few years back and the insurers risk assessor decided that the males tiles on the floor where an asbestos risk. The insurers paid for removal and that's all the man did. 2 coats PVA .

Should be a class H vacuum or if you use a normal one its classed as contaminated. £20,000 fine if they catch you.

Asbestos in bathrooms is usually found as asbestos cement sheets. It's a light, grey/white colour with a golf ball dimpled finish. It's hard and rigid. I once came a across a tiled bathroom where all the walls were asbestos cement. I only realised, after drilling several holes through it, when I looked under the bath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestos? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm looking for a water pump to pump water from a storage tank at a constant 3 bar pressure. It's at a campsite I run that's at the bottom of...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock