Discuss Asbestos Removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Veggie Dave

I have a customer whose landlord has decided that professional asbestos removal is far too expensive so he's going to do it himself.

I am, as you can imagine, trying to explain to the tenants just how dangerous and stupid he's being but they seem to think there's nothing they can do.

I'm about to write a note attached to my invoice explaining why they MUST take action but there's one thing I'm not sure about - is the illegal removal of asbestos a criminal offence and/or does it carry a potential prison sentence? Also, would the tenants also be liable to prosecution if he's caught?

The landlords a lemon, cant afford not to employ professionals when it comes to this. Don't know the legal stand point, but I would like to think the fine would be a multiple of what it would cost to do the job properly and also time inside.

Obviously not

[DLMURL="http://www.hse.gov.uk/press/2013/rnn-wm-17511.htm"]Birmingham builders fined for illegal asbestos removal[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
[DLMURL="http://www.arca.org.uk/ARCA-article.asp?ArticleID=328"]Birmingham builder fined for illegal asbestos removal - ARCA News[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
The simple fact he won't be able to provide a clean air certificate is enough for a court hearing.

a BG engineer removed something asbestos years ago I'm not sure what but the crux of it was that house and the others he visited that day all had to have clean air cleaning and certificates whilst his van was sealed and disposed of with all it's contents.

That's how serious they took it

The tenants would in no way be liable to prosecution.
The Landlord would be at risk of a massive fine plus decontamination costs for the property.
Plus alternative residence costs for the tenants, replacement furnishings and all the rest.
I'd phone Environmental Health pretending to be one of the tenants (dial 141 first) but say you would rather not give your name, because the Landlord's not a nice person. tell them what he is planning to do and leave it to them.

Hi there veggie. You should tell the landlord that when it comes to material such as asbestos theres only one way of removing and discarding and that is the right way. Its simply not a fibre to be messed with .

A whole multi-story up here was decanted for days a few weeks ago when a worker dislodged a panel that they thought might have been asbestos, this landlord is beyond arrogant, it's criminal neglect,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Asbestos Removal in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, All. Complete DIYer here, but I'll try not to sound too ignorant.. I recently noticed that my shower pan had developed a rust hole. It...
Replies
Views
Not sure if this is a success or a fail or just a rant but We do have heat and hot water now So all started the evening of Friday the 12th (Nov)...
Replies
Views
Catherine Dick was prosecuted by Halton Borough Council Trading Standards. The 33-year-old from Clayton Crescent in Runcorn, pleaded guilty to...
Replies
Views
Hi all - apologies in advance for the essay. Posted a week or two ago about a botched shower job and had some really helpful replies (tray...
Replies
Views
This is perhaps a long shot, but anyway... I live in a block of flats in Beijing, and the heating is provided by a metropolitan heating system...
Replies
Views
Back