Search the forum,
  • Thread starter tomskinner
  • Start date
  • Replies 127
  • Views 15K

Discuss Are you busy !? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on a fixed rate mortgage for the next year. If it goes up the minute the fixed rate stops, I'll be a bit screwed. I should do something about that I guess!!
I know quite a few folk up here who have sold their homes and got rid of their mortgages and now rent from a Housing Association. Many of the rented properties are new builds and work out far cheaper to rent than a mortgage, plus all the maintenance is thrown in for free. Besides a mortgage is just a rent to a bank.

Well except that in 30 years I get to keep the house, and with rent it's never ending.

We spent thousands and thousands, renting for years. It's money down the drain in my opinion. We've left those homes now, and all we've done is pay the landlords mortgage for him.

No, Im quiet at the moment, so much so that Ive been wall tiling today,

But I have got a 6 boilers to install in July.

I'm looking forward to the summer coz if it keeps on going as it is I'm gonna have one heck of a holiday with all the time I've prayed for :)

I trully hope you're all keeping your head above water ... If not consider the shallow end :lol: :D

you not busy diamond ?

I'm plodding along, best description :) Busy for me is working after 2pm :) I've noticed a drop in my private work though! A couple of regulars have not responded to my calls or letters *shrug*

I'm fortunate in that I don't need to make much to get buy I reckon Bod! House is paid for, van's paid for .. got no debt! Cupl of hundred a week covers it :)

I'm plodding along, best description :) Busy for me is working after 2pm :) I've noticed a drop in my private work though! A couple of regulars have not responded to my calls or letters *shrug*

I'm fortunate in that I don't need to make much to get buy I reckon Bod! House is paid for, van's paid for .. got no debt! Cupl of hundred a week covers it :)

got a contact insouth shields who uses plumbers gsr guys if thats any good to keep the beer fund up

got a contact insouth shields who uses plumbers gsr guys if thats any good to keep the beer fund up

Thanks for the offer bod .. :) Shields is hike I'd do if times become desperate :) I still have enough to get buy though for the near future! I'm loving the time with the missus and family TBH :)

I've had a complete turnaround from the last 3 weeks. I'm now going to be flat out for the next 6 weeks, which is nice as I've avaeraged less than £200 a week turnover for the last 3 weeks. I've actually had to turn some work down which isn't nice but it's urgent and I'm on site that day awaiting deliveries so can't even nip off. I'm even going to have to do a couple of evenings next week as the log cabin I'm plumbing up will be ready for first fix.

It would be nice if the work would space itself out properly rather than coming all at once.

One thing i learnt very quickly as a one man band or small firm is that work never seem to space itself out .
I 'm either nothing on /plodding along earning not alot and stressed from lack of work then suddenly jobs i have priced roll in same time and phone rings for small works and get stressed as cant find enough hours in the day .

I'm just starting off on my own, and in my first week of being in existence I did 1 job. Small, couple of hours. At least it was something. I have a days work next week, and nothing after that for the moment. *scratches head and wonders if setting up on my own was a good idea??

i am back working with the council, Been put back on kitchen and bathrooms which is great cause its all price work, only down side is that i now need to go on 24hour call out, tho is good in money terms 40 jobs just the other week £20 a call £10 a shut and £100 for the week your on just going on it no matter how many calls you get,

Still got my other own business, just doing small jobs at night and big jobs at the weekend, i am busy with my own stuff even looked at getting a other plumber to give me a hand, but the work just now peeks high then peeks low.

My problem now is i get phone calls asking for boiler breakdowns etc and i just cant attend them, and finding a plumber round here that you can trust can be a nightmare,

My jetter that i use is allways busy he travels allround scotland jetting for normal day to day customer right up to big companys, tho i dont fancy getting covered in **** every day

Steven

o and i have bought a house so my business will be going on hold slightly

i am back working with the council, Been put back on kitchen and bathrooms which is great cause its all price work, only down side is that i now need to go on 24hour call out, tho is good in money terms 40 jobs just the other week £20 a call £10 a shut and £100 for the week your on just going on it no matter how many calls you get,

Still got my other own business, just doing small jobs at night and big jobs at the weekend, i am busy with my own stuff even looked at getting a other plumber to give me a hand, but the work just now peeks high then peeks low.

My problem now is i get phone calls asking for boiler breakdowns etc and i just cant attend them, and finding a plumber round here that you can trust can be a nightmare,

My jetter that i use is allways busy he travels allround scotland jetting for normal day to day customer right up to big companys, tho i dont fancy getting covered in **** every day

Steven

I wish I had the stomach for drainage. I couldnt do it for any money. I think I'd even pay someone else if mine were blocked!

Smt why not let us know where you are based and one of us might be able to help out

The week starts well for me. Had a call yesterday to go and price up a job this morning. If I get it, thats possibly 2 days work.

Good for you Bobleponge. I had nothing for 2 weeks now. At least doing some training at Baxi this week for 3 days so keeps my mind occupied and not depressed of not being working. :/ damn recession, when this will end?

I just seem to be incredibly patchy at the moment I'll have a quiet week then the phone won't stop ringing for another. Give it another month or so and the autumn rush will begin, then we'll be wishing we could get a few hours of peace to catch up!

Good for you Bobleponge. I had nothing for 2 weeks now. At least doing some training at Baxi this week for 3 days so keeps my mind occupied and not depressed of not being working. :/ damn recession, when this will end?

I take it, that's the Baxi Combi appreciation/electrical fault finding course?

Its really good. I did it last year.

Baxi ones are £75 each, but you get 10% off when booked online. They do other ones too, like unvented, cpa1, solar.

i paid £202.50 together for 3 days, wanted boiler diagnostics too but was booked out

i should have been a copper, just plodding and too many 't' breaks.

seem to be spending more than £ coming in?.

Same down here in Plymouth area REDSHAW just seam to be paying out everthing i earn nothing left at end of week, will be liveing on road kill soon , lol

No work at mo hence thats why Im on here at this time of the morning... I subby and I'm waiting for a new contract starts beginning of July (hopefully) ended unexpectedly. Even looking at doing warehouse work to keep me ticking over for £6.08 per hour for 7.5 hr days no need to break out the calculator for my nett earnings on that!!!.

I graft (like we all do) really hard for the money I saved when busy and hate the fact that its going to drbble away on the quiet times but thats subby work. Swapped over an electric shower and fixed a roof last week for £110.00 whisch I thought was fair but got a lecture from the wife of the customer who wanted a "special price" and gave me the promise of more work..... (how many times have custards tried to get me on that hook) thats why I like contracting.

Off topic, but relevant to course question above..... How much is Part P course and how long does it take. I know Bod did it recently, so if you're around let me know Lee mate.

I looked into this earlier in the year and one day I might do something about it.

I think, like all things, that the cheaper the course the less you'll learn. I think the one I enquired about was 6 days (4 days defined and another two to obtain full scope) and was £1,200+vat.

Not enough to make you into a full blown electrician but certainly enough for domestic and to change consumer unit on single phase.

Then there's the cost of registration to yet another wallet scrounging body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are you busy !? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock