Discuss Are us powertool junkies any quicker than the old boys? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a guy using sds wood chisels for notching.

even i thought what the hell...

I had no special tools when I first started helping out at plumbing work. All I can remember was a professional B&D ordinary hammer drill which used to burn up if used with a 3/4" bit & it constantly jammed.
All hole cutting in walls was done by hand & also cutting of concrete floors. I was good at it but sometimes it could take half a day to do what an electric hammer can do today in minutes.
All floorboards were cut by hand - tongues & cross cuts. It was the best way & still is, with the exception of a multi tool which is brilliant for a nice fine cut & you don't sweat doing it.

Had a guy using sds wood chisels for notching.

even i thought what the hell...

I don't understand those either, for notches anyway. By the time you've got everything set up you could have made two cuts and wacked out notch with hammer.

Although along the lines of powertools and our reliance on them

who does pipe threading!

revequ3y.jpg

This wasn't a hard wall just it destroyed a few bits? Doing this by hand would have ruined my day!

why did you drill 2 holes for 1 flue?

U tried stitching. 450 ish thick concrete on second floor?

Stitching is loads faster. Normall pop a 10mm through center to outside then litter perimeter with 6mm and smash it out in seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:
you want to try rubble walls with petersmarland brick outers. the bricks alone take around 30 to 50 mins to core safely. Putting the flue in for my own aga years back I hit a wall tie and ended up on the floor bleeding and unconscious as the drill clutch failed to work and it spun round and smacked me in the face. Never thought to sue screwfix, but a friend broke his fingers doing the same with a B&Q core drill, he got a hell of a sum off them several thousand, and BNQ now have disclaimers everywhere in using core drills.

I don't understand those either, for notches anyway. By the time you've got everything set up you could have made two cuts and wacked out notch with hammer.

Or you could cut the notch according to the regs and drill the bottom and cut two notches down to it. Not as quick as butchering the joist but a lot more professional.

I've worked with a lot of tradesman, over a number of different trades and I reckon quality has taken 2nd place to getting the job done in shortest time......but who's to blame for that ??

I've worked with a lot of tradesman, over a number of different trades and I reckon quality has taken 2nd place to getting the job done in shortest time......but who's to blame for that ??

Sadly very true!

you want to try rubble walls with petersmarland brick outers. the bricks alone take around 30 to 50 mins to core safely. Putting the flue in for my own aga years back I hit a wall tie and ended up on the floor bleeding and unconscious as the drill clutch failed to work and it spun round and smacked me in the face. Never thought to sue screwfix, but a friend broke his fingers doing the same with a B&Q core drill, he got a hell of a sum off them several thousand, and BNQ now have disclaimers everywhere in using core drills.
done that smashed my back teeth trough my tongue blood everywhere

done that smashed my back teeth trough my tongue blood everywhere

and you cant even curse properly with broken teeth and sore tongue from experience, plus you really scare the kids when you start tthhhhrying thoooo ssspeeek

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Are us powertool junkies any quicker than the old boys? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock