Currently reading:
Apprenticeships

Discuss Apprenticeships in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

celticbhoy

Hey all.
Just wondering if there is a certain period of time when plumbing companies take on apprentices and if so when that is ?
Im going to start looking for a plumbing apprenticeship but was just wondering if im too late or if you can apply any time.
Thanks

Hi

Most college courses start in sept so most companies start employing around now till end of August, although you do get some colleges courses that start later.
Im still looking for one at the moment but finding it really difficult to get one.
Good luck finding one mate

Charlie

Hey all.
Just wondering if there is a certain period of time when plumbing companies take on apprentices and if so when that is ?
Im going to start looking for a plumbing apprenticeship but was just wondering if im too late or if you can apply any time.
Thanks

You'll not get an apprenticeship in Glasgow unless your a member of the establishment don't u know!

Only messin lol

Sounds like you got to joint a masonic lodge in the Glasgow area?

Sounds like you got to joint a masonic lodge in the Glasgow area?

Celtic fans have been going on about the establishment and being treated unfairly by officials for as long I can remember. Nepotism is still rife according them.

I only say in jest of course

Could any of you lads tell me about bconstructive.com? Been told to register on that and go for a test.
Could anyone tell me a little more about this test ?

celticbhoy where are you based? you might want to get in touch with John Gillies at SNIPEF if you are in the west

Celtic fans have been going on about the establishment and being treated unfairly by officials for as long I can remember. Nepotism is still rife according them.

I only say in jest of course

Nepotism, isnt that where have relations with your relations:D:D:D:D (i know, it isnt really but seemed funny to me)

Any tips when sending out letters and looking for an apprenticeship ?

Hey all.
Thanks

where are you based? if you are scottish (just a punt looking at your forum name) you might want to contact snipef to talk to the rep for your area as he is the guy who places apprentices with prospective employers

Any tips when sending out letters and looking for an apprenticeship ?

re posts about nepotism and joining the lodge, with a name like celticbhoy you should try Glasgow Council, allegedly(nah it is a fact) it has a very catholic/celtic bias

Another thing, when writing the address, on both letter and envelope, if the company name is unknown, do I just address the letter to the individual?

Example, I search on yellow pages for plumbers, the name Jo Bloggs comes up.
Do I just address to Jo Bloggs, Or do I include 'Plumbing' at the end ?

Do you get what I mean ?

instead of writing letters why dont you actually turn up at there office

Allright! Have sent out some letters allready, and am about to send out more. However I feel that I am leaving it too late, am I ?

As well as sending out letters, I plan on phoning and tryng to meet the plumbers in person.
Is there ANYTHING else that I can do to help ?
I have thought about asking the employers If I could at least go out on some type of work-experience with them, but Im not sure.

And please, no comments about my user name haha.

self addressed evelopes? anything that sets you out from the next? what are your achievements? history of the building trade in family etc etc

i spoke to someone last year who had sent out 200 leters had only two replies and both said no, prepare yourself

this is a good thread for newbies to see, let them know how difficult it is

this will be around the time that they will be looking for apprentices, as the college starts at september so have a couple of months to search British Gas are recruiting at the moment so try them

p.s come on the hoops !!;)

Last edited:
Yeah fuzzy it is really hard to find someone to take you on as an apprentice! Im finding that out right now.

Should I spread my application area ? I can drive so should I ?

P.S The League Is Ours ;)

Allright! Have sent out some letters allready, and am about to send out more. However I feel that I am leaving it too late, am I ?

As well as sending out letters, I plan on phoning and tryng to meet the plumbers in person.
Is there ANYTHING else that I can do to help ?
I have thought about asking the employers If I could at least go out on some type of work-experience with them, but Im not sure.

And please, no comments about my user name haha.

Yes, there’s one more thing you can do. First thing in the morning go to a plumbing merchant and ask a trader if he needs a help. Do not ask - have you got a job for me? Or have you got anything going? Just – Do you need any help or hand? Don’t talk about money, unless you are struggling. Of course it’s up to you what you want to do about money side of it. You just need to get your foot in the door. You might spend a day or two with the guy and never see him again. But you really need to be switched on though, be a step ahead - passing right tools or fittings at the right time, whatever needs doing. And you never know, if you are saving the time for the dude and he likes you – you might stay with him for more then a day or two. You just have to deliver and work your socks off.

Anyway, the above can work. Just give it a go, there’s nothing to lose.
Good luck!

Last edited:
[/FONT][/SIZE]

Yes, there’s one more thing you can do. First thing in the morning go to a plumbing merchant and ask a trader if he needs a help. Do not ask - have you got a job for me? Or have you got anything going? Just – Do you need any help or hand? Don’t talk about money, unless you are struggling. Of course it’s up to you what you want to do about money side of it. You just need to get your foot in the door. You might spend a day or two with the guy and never see him again. But you really need to be switched on though, be a step ahead - passing right tools or fittings at the right time, whatever needs doing. And you never know, if you are saving the time for the dude and he likes you – you might stay with him for more then a day or two. You just have to deliver and work your socks off.

Anyway, the above can work. Just give it a go, there’s nothing to lose.
Good luck!

That's a good idea something i'll have to think about when i'm not so busy working

Alex that is a great idea! I will definatly try that.
Anything else lads ?
Im still waiting to send out the rest of my letters, and am panacking that I will leave it too late!

Hi everyone, thought Id update this thread instead of starting a new one.

Just wanting to say that I have been looking for an apprenticeship for a while now and have had no luck at all. Im starting to wonder just how much longer I should keep on looking for until It would be wise for me to go ahead and start something else.
I realise that there is very little work for plumbers at the moment so I am seriously thinking and worrying, about what to do now.
Any help would be appreciated guys!

when i was 17 i had done a basic ONCW plumbing course after doing that i offerd my services to a company free of charge so i could get my foot in the door, 3 months later i had an apprenticeship that saw me through NVQ 2 and 3. Its about making a good impression showing up on time and being willing to be the donkey for a few weeks and eventually they will wonder how they ever got on without you.

So do you think that I should send out letters saying that I am available to labour for them ? And not mention an apprenticeship in the hope that after a while of labouring, they will offer me one ?

Hey, how is your search going?  I am trying to get into an apprenticeship myself after my degree seems to not be able to get me a job.  Im based in Glasgow as well so a success story would be a good boost.  Did you try going to the merchants?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Apprenticeships in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back