Discuss Anyone have experience with Training providers. Need help in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

I am looking to change career. I have a young family and need to work round them.

I have been in touch with Access Training. It seems to have some mix reviews.

While there seems to be alot of happy people with the knowledge they have experience, there seems to be just as many who are un happy as they haven't recieved certificates, completed exam's or can't get practical experience ( some of the reviews go back to 2017).

I have been in touch with my local college who doesn't do plumbing, the one that does is over an hour away 2 evenings a week and is about 1/3 the price of access training.

But I'm not sure if I would have the same problems in getting the practical part of the course completed?

Any advice??? I am near Harlow in Essex.

Also in level 2 diploma what would you as a plumber expect to see as a minimum in a course.

My understanding is once the level 2 is completed you then start on NVQ for practical assessment. Is this right?

I did a evening course at college and got my my C&G level 3. As my confidence grew i put the word about with friends and started doing small jobs to gain some experience. I'm now working as sub contractor for a Plumbing company. If i can do it you can.

Why do you think plumbing will allow you to work around a young family? It didn't let me. I regret not spending more time with them, but it is what it is and we wouldn't be where we are today otherwise.

Thank you very much for your reply. The Training provider provides practical training at the test centres. They also said in regards to the qualifications they have work at ongoing construction sites available for us to go and build up a "portfolio" to ensure we receive our accreditation and NVQ status. They're aware that this a requirement. Would it be worth it in this case?. I can't really afford to do an apprenticeship you see. This seems like a better route. But I also want to be able to receive the qualifications. The course advisor claimed that once you're qualified you won't have a problem getting hired.

Would love your input on this, thank you very much
I did an evening course at my local college for 4 years and told my employer and friends who gave me a few easy jobs to do which built up my confidence and gained loads of experience, now i sub contract for a local plumbing and heating company.

They also said in regards to the qualifications they have work at ongoing construction sites available for us to go and build up a "portfolio" to ensure we receive our accreditation and NVQ status. They're aware that this a requirement. Would it be worth it in this case?
If they guarantee you'll actually get the portfolio, then this would at least get you the NVQ.
The course advisor claimed that once you're qualified you won't have a problem getting hired.
I'm sceptical of that claim. The problem with employing a plumber is they can potentially be a liability if they aren't that good, so, even if you'll accept a lower wage, employers may prefer a time-served plumber with experience and documentation of years of work behind them who may be seen as less of a risk. There is not a lack of plumbers in the country - there is a lack of GOOD plumbers (and a lack of customers willing to pay for a GOOD plumber).

Hello everyone, so I've decided to embark on my journey to becoming a qualified plumber. However, i am unsure if these training courses and providers are legit. My brother had an experience a few years ago that turned to be a scam. The company name is 24/7 Training UK. Weekly payments of 45 quid and I will train online and at the training centres to become nvq level 1 qualified then move onto level 2. Anyone had similar experiences with these type of companies? Thank you

How did you get on with this company? My partner is thinking of undertaking a course with them?
Hello everyone, so I've decided to embark on my journey to becoming a qualified plumber. However, i am unsure if these training courses and providers are legit. My brother had an experience a few years ago that turned to be a scam. The company name is 24/7 Training UK. Weekly payments of 45 quid and I will train online and at the training centres to become nvq level 1 qualified then move onto level 2. Anyone had similar experiences with these type of companies? Thank you

How did you get on with this? My partner is wanting to do the same but we aren't its legitimate?

If you are not already qualified at level 3. Secondary education colleges are offering free training at this level. Usually a mix of practical and online /virtual learning. The government are putting a lot of funds to colleges to help people retrain after COVID. I used to own a training company. Be careful fast trac learning is not the answer for any quality learning offer!! Also price is disgusting. Research funded courses for adults - good luck all

Hi,
I am 38 and have a young family, ex military and stuck in a dead end job and am looking to start a career in plumbing knowing i have the ability to pass all relevant training and assessments in order to achieve the qualifications to do so. I am just wondering which is the best way to go about this whilst working around my current work(bills still must be paid and mouths fed) and family commitments. I do have plenty time during the week whilst my kids are at nursery and I'm on my days off(i work 4 on 4 off... time is plentiful). I have been in touch with one of these course providers and he said all the right things(obviously with him trying to sell me a course worth £7,800). But since taking a look into these chats after typing "scam plumbing courses" in google, my confidence in the course and becoming a plumber have severly diminished!.. Please advise as forking out £180 a month whilst being affordable until i obtain full-time emplyment as a plumber, would cripple us if it was nothing ither that a scam.... essentially throwing such an amount ov money in the bin!... Worth doing the course.... or not? Thanks in advance 👍

Reply to Anyone have experience with Training providers. Need help in the The Welcome Wagon :) area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I want to start working on the gas side of plumbing and heating. I am a sole trader working with plumbing and heating and have the NVQ level 2.I...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Please can anyone help or point me in the right direcrion. I have recently completed a 18 month bpec management learning programme...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I’m looking for a course that will cover the necessary certificates for me to obtain the gas safe status. I’ve come across a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Hope you are all well. My name is Henry and I am Dorset based, and looking to get into the Plumbing trade. I will have completed my...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock