Discuss Anyone fit or know anyone on a metering contract in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing a stint with NG, I was getting over 20 jobs a day. Rarely got into more than 4! The problem is that the householer sees no benefit in waiting in for a scheduled meter change, so they ignore the letters. This will no doubt vary with the area covered.
I didn't give a monkeys as I was getting paid per hour.

With regard to follow on work - don't bank on it. The punter is likely to view your "recomendations" with suspicion.

Last edited:
Sorry out calls

Me?
I was on an hourly rate. Overtime on Saturdays, plus some weird shift payments. There were days when I never got my tools out, but still got paid.
But it was TOFO job, but doing mainly meters, as opposed to a metering contract.
My point was that if you are on a payment per completed job, never underestimate the abortive visits count. But I am sure this will vary dependent on the type pf residents.
Would you take time off work to allow a gasman in to change a meter,unless you perceived some sort of personal benefit ? Frankly, I wouldn't.
On my visits, they weren't all promised for that specific day. They received a letter to say we would be calling in the next 6 months or so. We called FIVE times before cancelling the job, but then it would be reissued some weeks later.
A regular issue was private tenants refusing access as they felt it had to be cleared with their landlord.
Some houses clearly were occupied, but no one answered. It was explained to me by local guys that some religions/culture disallowed/disapproved their women from answering the door whole there were no family men present. I don't actually know if that is true.

If I was considering a metering contract, I would need to know the full terms and conditions and the "what if" scenarios.

Too right and thanks for your perspective.
Frankly i cant make the numbers work so will be passing this by.
I would need approximately 11.79 a day over a 5 day week completed jobs at their average rate to be where I wanted considering van running costs conservatively calculated at 3640 over the year. I feel this is unachievable for a number of reasons.

With (from memory) what i recall them saying it would be approximately 6.49 per day on their calculation of what work they would initially be passing over - and that is providing everyone answered the door.

Considering how much time i need to make myself available to them it will impact my own work too much..

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a meter installed today. Subbys to sms or smart metering services. Says for a u16 hes making ÂŁ60. Has 5/6 jobs a day

Seems good to me

I wanna be subbying for nat grid fitting service mains. Think that would be good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Anyone fit or know anyone on a metering contract in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I've searched this forum but cannot see anyone else reporting a similar problem with the last generation grey Hep2O fittings: they unscrew! Our...
Replies
Views
Hi Is it normal to have very black UFH flow meters on a relatively new manifold (see image)? (Note the two clear flow meters on the LHS are for...
Replies
Views
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
H
Hi there, thanks for your time to look at this record long post!! I work on the operational management side or a small building contracting firm...
Replies
Views
HRP123
H
Hello All and thanks Lou i did write a reply but it would not let me send it? i am not sure what I am meant to write and I do not want to come...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock