Discuss Any ideas? Unreliable heating. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Thanks John. I have bled the rads but not emptied them per se - when you say 'no circulation or corc pump defective' what else could cause the 'no circulation'? The weird thing is that on Sunday after I changed to CP2 all rads were hot, same Monday but then Monday night the downstairs rads went cold. So that must be an airlock? But there is no air in rads! Given that we have had heat i would guess the pump valves are fully open.
last one - the screw in the pump to deblock - manual says to turn screwdriver anticlockwise, but youtube vids say ant and then clockwise? Is that a possible issue?

That makes sense, an airlock is a distinct possibility, the only way ("new fresh") air can get into the system is through the air vent, the pipe that bends over the F&E (small) tank. Try and tape a container of water (say a few litres) under this vent with the open end immersed in the water and watch it while starting/running the pump or as I suggested earlier on, just get someone to do as I suggested in post #15, do this first mybe.

Turn all the rads off downstairs bar one, get that one red hot. Turn it off. Turn next one on and repeat for rest. It's just airlocking that's all by the sounds of it. If valves are red hot to radiators, then sounds like air. You've not balanced up downstairs have you?

Turn all the rads off downstairs bar one, get that one red hot. Turn it off. Turn next one on and repeat for rest. It's just airlocking that's all by the sounds of it. If valves are red hot to radiators, then sounds like air. You've not balanced up downstairs have you?
Yes, balanced all rads up and down a few times.

Had a plumber come round. He has checked the pump, the valves, drained the system, rebled the system, checked the feeder tank in loft and it is still the same. He is convinced there is a blockage in the 'return' feed pipe (I am not going to pretend I know what that is) and we need to do a powerflush.

I don't see why anyone would drain down a system just to change out a pump, however we can talk till the cows come home but
I would go way and buy one of those cheap plug in energy monitors on amazon or where ever, remove the pump cable from the terminal box, Connect a 3 pin trailing socket into the terminal box where the pump was, put a 3 pin plug on the end of the pump cable, plug the energy monitor into the socket and plug the pump into the energy monitor and monitor the pump power, that will eliminate or not a pump problem to start with as these pumps have a very high failure rate or inconsistent performance even out of the box, the monitor is only £15 or £20 and very accurate.

Yes, balanced all rads up and down a few times.

Had a plumber come round. He has checked the pump, the valves, drained the system, rebled the system, checked the feeder tank in loft and it is still the same. He is convinced there is a blockage in the 'return' feed pipe (I am not going to pretend I know what that is) and we need to do a powerflush.
Unbalance the downstairs ones, so they're open fully. Leave upstairs balanced.

Reply to Any ideas? Unreliable heating. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock