Discuss Any ideas? Unreliable heating. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

So, are you absolutely certain that the new pump is pumping in the same direction as the old one, ie, the arrow on the old pump was also pointing downwards??, Is you system as I showed above or can you post a photo of it?, its strange that you are getting problems at CP2 even though it is a bit high so CP1 may sort out the problem, was that system chemically cleaned or anything like that between pump changes?.
Screenshot_20221212-220258.png

This is the old pump and if it appears you will see what I mean by upside down. I don't have any other image so can only presume the British gas engineer who put the new one in ensured it is pumping on same direction. No chemical cleaning I am aware of.

Well you will have to be happy (ensured) that the UPS3 is pumping in the correct direction before taking any drastic or unnecessary action, if the pipe coming out of the bottom of the pump then goes to either a three way valve or to a number of valves (all/any of which will have a motor with a cable) then pump direction is downwards, if these valve(s) come off the top pipe then the pump must pump upwards.

Well you will have to be happy (ensured) that the UPS3 is pumping in the correct direction before taking any drastic or unnecessary action, if the pipe coming out of the bottom of the pump then goes to either a three way valve or to a number of valves (all/any of which will have a motor with a cable) then pump direction is downwards, if these valve(s) come off the top pipe then the pump must pump upwards.
Yes, that's where the 3 port valve is

so 3 port below pump and pump pumping downwards is correct, CP1 or just maybe PP2 next step??

WhT was happening when the pump was stopping as can't see it

Your old pump was probably a 6M Selectric (made in 2007) so the pump curves may look like this. If so then even speed 3 has a relatively low head of 2.5m at 0.7ms/hr and hopefully CP1 or PP3 will also not cause any pumpover problems.

1670917782263.png

Last edited:
so 3 port below pump and pump pumping downwards is correct, CP1 or just maybe PP2 next step??

WhT was happening when the pump was stopping as can't see it
The pump was making a very strange noise. The file I added was a video file.
Starting from scratch tonight. Photo of setup attached showing port valve etc. Going to try CP1 following the details posted on Sunday, starting with HW ON ETC.
PXL_20221213_184006839.jpg

Gary, getting a bit confused myself re arrow on pump, can you just confirm that (if) the pump is now pumping downwards then the engineer will then have turned the head through 180 deg and the arrow will be on the right hand side of the pump body, pointing downwards.

Assuming it was how is your system performing now?.
The arrow is downwards on the left side behind the cable socket. I can't see anything on the right hand side. Best photo I can take given the angle is here.
PXL_20221213_215740774.jpg

Not getting anywhere really. I had to leave heating on today as someone was home so it was on CP1 with all upstairs rads off so the living room rads were warm. The kitchen rads beyond those never really warmed up properly. Have tried to restart CP1 following the process I was asked to go through on Sunday evening but when I switch upstairs rads off there heat is not too hot downstairs with the last 2 or 3 on system almost getting nothing. Like i say I am not a plumber so have no knowledge at all but I know when it won't work just by noise of pump. When it is almost silent I know it will work but when it makes more noise it won't. I think I need to have the system cold to be able to try a proper CP1 or PP1 reset.

Not getting anywhere really. I had to leave heating on today as someone was home so it was on CP1 with all upstairs rads off so the living room rads were warm. The kitchen rads beyond those never really warmed up properly. Have tried to restart CP1 following the process I was asked to go through on Sunday evening but when I switch upstairs rads off there heat is not too hot downstairs with the last 2 or 3 on system almost getting nothing. Like i say I am not a plumber so have no knowledge at all but I know when it won't work just by noise of pump. When it is almost silent I know it will work but when it makes more noise it won't. I think I need to have the system cold to be able to try a proper CP1 or PP1 reset.
Got closer. Yes arrow on right is downwards.
PXL_20221213_220628339.jpg

Reply to Any ideas? Unreliable heating. in the Central Heating Forum area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock