Discuss Am I responsible for adding isolation valves to old installs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keefy

Esteemed
Plumber
Subscribed
If, for example I change a pair of taps (bath, basin whatever) for a customer is it my responsibility to also fit isolation valves if there were none there before to bring it up to current standards so-to-speak?

If I were to have a customer refuse my advice on fitting some then I'd feel like I hadn't done a proper job - obviously not through any fault of my own.

I've always preferred to fit them mate. But if they don't want them then fair enough. Customer is king.... Till they've paid!

If the customer doesn't want to pay you can't make them, the choice is walk away, do the job the way the customer wants or work for free.

Unfortunately, I am self employed and would do it the way the customer wants it but note it on the invoice.

I've always preferred to fit them mate. But if they don't want them then fair enough. Customer is king.... Till they've paid!
Same here but if a customer decides they don't want to pay a few quid more for a couple of valves then what do you do; tell them you'll do them a favour and fit them anyway without further charge or just price accordingly in case they're needed?

Haven't had a problem with anyone getting into a huff about any unforseen extras but that situation may well come about one day. Suppose I could give them two prices, one for a straight swap and another (+ cost of valves) if they have no means of quick isolation.

You can only advise...like a lot in the plumbing world, customers are watching the pennys nowadays...

just ask the customer if they want them. if its a very hard to reach situation then you may not want to try anyway as it can cause problems.

push fit flexis with built in isolators :), luckly I can jog away at speed nowadays, for the time being any how.

Think I'm leaning towards refusing to carry out the work unless they accept my advice on doing a proper job. My way or nothing I suppose, not like I'd have to resort to that kind of action on a regular basis but it's just a 'what if' scenario really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Am I responsible for adding isolation valves to old installs? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock