Search the forum,

Discuss Alternative option besides a combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

antdad1969

Hi

I'd like to remove storage tank/airing cupboard to free up more bathroom space but this would mean changing my current system.
Besides a combi or a high pressure system do I have any other options?

Are there storage cylinders available that can be utilized in loft space for example?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

why not lift your coldwater storage tanks up on a frame of timber and put you existing cylinder up in the loft probably the cheapest option and you get the added bonus of higher preasures on all the taps
you will also have to raise the feed and expansion tank for the heating
the stand has to be sturdy as the tank will wiegh about 200 kilos full of water
if possible i always build the stand against a wall in 3x2 and remember to spread the load on to something substantial

Thanks for quick reply Steve...is there a minimum head requirement between storage tank and cylinder?

Or is it not critical.

Dont think there is a minimum distance between cylinder and tank as most new cylinder installations a Fortic cylinder will be used. A Fortic cylinder/tank is basically the cylinder with the tank built on top, hence why i think there is no minimum distance. So long as the tank can feed the cylinder, it just needs to be positioned above.
Obviously its the head of water from the tank that gives you your hot water pressure so a fortic will need to be fitted as high as possible in the property to give you hot water, where as with a normal cylinder this can be fitted downstairs so long as the tank is as high in the property as possible (usually the loft. Hope that makes sense.

Dont think there is a minimum distance between cylinder and tank as most new cylinder installations a Fortic cylinder will be used. A Fortic cylinder/tank is basically the cylinder with the tank built on top, hence why i think there is no minimum distance. So long as the tank can feed the cylinder, it just needs to be positioned above.
Obviously its the head of water from the tank that gives you your hot water pressure so a fortic will need to be fitted as high as possible in the property to give you hot water, where as with a normal cylinder this can be fitted downstairs so long as the tank is as high in the property as possible (usually the loft. Hope that makes sense.

a fortic cylinder isnt approriate for the rystem i described earlier as you will still need your water tank to provide cold as well as hot water
no theres no minimum hight provided you can get the cylinder below the tank,I normally get the tank as high into the loft space as i can and put the cylinder inside the framework below it its always best to put the frame against a wall as you can then fix it to stop any chance of movement and the wall fixing takes some of the wieght.I always brace the frame diagonally to stop it folding im probably making the fram work sound more complicated than it actually is but i like to be sure its gonna stay up

if you existing tank and cylinder are in good condition you can reuse them which keeps the cost down
You will obviously have to extend all the pipework and any wiring to the cylinder stat/motorised valves
if your programme timer are in the bath room airing cupboard these to will need repositoning

Hi Stevetheplumber,
I based my reply to the thread based on that ive never seen a secondary cold water tank fitted in a cupboard in a bathroom (they tend to always be in the loft) so i assumed the storage tank was for hot water only.
Maybe the original poster could confirm/unconfirm this?
Cheers. :)

Hello chaps
To clarify...I have a hot water storage cylinder that I'm thinking of moving out of airing cupboard. The footprint of the cupboard eats into bathroom space which I would like to increase. I understand stevetheplumber idea of moving the cylinder into loft space and then mounting cold water storage as high as possible for max pressure.
I don't really understand why I would use a fortec cylinder which has integrated cold water storage ...does this not also require a cold water feed from a higher tank or can it be mains fed?

I've just looked up what a fortic cylinder is and it seems to me that I could use that as well...infact if I understand the fortic correctly I would have a mains feed to that as well as cold storage and expansion tank.

Disadavantage - cost of new fortic
Advantage - easier installation, less of a pipe run although expansion tank needs to be mounted higher. Am I correct...thoughts apprecitated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alternative option besides a combi? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock