Discuss Alpha CB 28 headscratcher... any advice chaps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

theanalyst

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
ok, so I went to a job last week, custard had just bought the house, unluckily for them it had an Alpha CB28 in it. She said it kept cutting out (heating, dhw was fine)so she would have to reset and then it would work again.

I told her to try it on DHW only mode until I could get there late last week. She reported it had been working fine for DHW only.

I tried it on heating, ran it up for a while till the system got hot and bingo, it cutout. Downstairs rads were blazing but upstairs cold. CHecked them, some moron had closed a lot of them off, so I was wondering if the boiler had reached its set temp and cutout. Adjusted all the rads, hunky dory, nice warm house. Left it running half an hour, all good.

I had taken a new CH overheat stat but they had supplied a thermistor when I opened the bag. I couldn't test resistance on current one as Alpha gives no resistance readings in their crappy manual. I checked the pump which I had expected to be the culprit. It was nice and free, spinning like a dream, so I thought it was cured...

Nope, just had a call saying it has cutout on her twice this weekend and I am scratching my head a bit... Thinking it could be the pump overheating, but if I cant get it to repeat it could be one of those nightmare jobs...

Anyone got much Alpha experience? I hardly ever get them, only know that they are sh*t!!
is it worth getting a new overheat stat before I go?:ack2:

thanks in advance

I did think about the primary temp sensor for heating flow as well, but again, got no readings as to what it should be and I don't like throwing parts at boilers ever. That's for British Gas!!

Blocked bypass maybe?

Was the heating water ok?

Try reducing the heating temperature to see if it makes any odds?

Last edited:
Blocked bypass maybe?

Was the heating water ok?

Try reducing the heating temperature to see if it makes any odds?

Internal bypass?

I turned it down when I left, seems to have still done it when Id gone...aaaggh

Sorry mate, missed the 'heating water' bit?

yes it got up to temp nicely, all was working as it should be and all rads were toasty for at least 30 minutes, until I had gone anyway !!

Internal bypass?

I turned it down when I left, seems to have still done it when Id gone...aaaggh

Yeah, just a thought if the system has a room stat. Did you follow the fault finding in the manual? Was it definitely locking out due to over heat?

Water clean or mucky?

Cheers!
No stat that I could find and custard wasnt aware of one. There is an old programmer under the boiler and then the boiler heat control for temp control. I suppose I could link out the programmer just to eliminate it, but it has to be worse than that!!

Fault finding in the manual seemed pretty useless. Didn't really give me any info that helped or that I didn't know(like resistance readings for overheat stat etc)

Water was dirty when I checked the pump, seen worse though! thanks

Last edited:
Yes, Neon 'A' is flashing the lady has kindly informed me! On checking the manual that means overheat stat has operated. Would be nice if it was just the OH stat, but....

Another thought I have had is if the PCB is goosed. There seems to be a few cases where OHS has indicated a similiar fault where engineers have ended up replacing the PCB. I will try a new Overheat Stat, then if the pump still seems ok I will have to look at PCB :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Alpha CB 28 headscratcher... any advice chaps? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock