Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Tify to Gas Engineer, what will it take? in the Gas Safe Register Forum - Public Forum area at UKPlumbersForums.co.uk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tino Mclaren

Tino Mclaren New Member

Hello all

Im a fully qualified time served instrument technician (ICI, Enron, contract work etc...)

Im considering a career change to a more public facing job (I wont go into the details unless someone wants to know) and have always been interested in plumbing.

In fact ive installed many heating systems (on site and dwellings) over the years, usually combi's but I stopped the dwellings when the regs came in but carried on with site work as that's a different set of rules.

I had my own kane 400 series (450 was the last one, not sure about the new gear) for gas combustion checks, pressure, co/co2 ratio etc.. I also worked with other gases too.

I also have a HNC in electrical engineering, im not a domestic spark as such (not part p) but again ive re-wired many houses over the years, more recently to 17th ed and used colleagues to sign off.

Im 51 now and I want a change, is there a swap over road map for someone like me? What will it take?

Many thanks in advance

Tino

2. ShaunCorbs

ShaunCorbs S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

TBH I wouldn't change I'm sorry

3. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Surely theres more avenues that could open up with the knowledge you have .
    Plumbing and gas is not as easy as people think

4. Tino Mclaren

Tino Mclaren New Member

Thanks but im pretty sure its what I want to do, I appreciate that its not easy.

I was hoping for some help on any training I would need or how to achieve the swap over.

Cheers

5. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

I'm 50, I want to go down to 3 or 4 days a week.

At 51 I wouldn't be advising a career change.

You could pay your money and do a six week course which would get you no where near. Training centres only want your dosh.

No easy way in.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Chalked

Chalked Plumber GSR

Gas training now takes a year to do. Including 6 months working with someone gas safe registered.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tino Mclaren

Tino Mclaren New Member

I realise this is probably not the right place for this sort of question, thank you.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  8. townfanjon

townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Tino , sorry they probably are not the answers you want to hear , and IMO this is the place to ask this sort of question.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. ShaunCorbs

Just because you don't like the answers you've been given doesn't mean there wrong

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tino Mclaren

Tino Mclaren New Member

No, I appreciate some of the answers Shaun, you couldnt answer my question though because not many on here (if any) have gone to gas technician via this path. I wasnt being ungrateful I was just asking in the wrong place.

I feel by your short 'dont bother' answers you are like a coiled spring waiting to attack!!! Your demeanour says it all.

For anyone searching here is what I have found out:

I have rang ACS (actually UKAS HQ) and spoke to a very helpful chap (an ex engineer and dept manager). I can take the exam directly without completing training (I will be brushing up, a lot!), they can contact my employer and as long as my gas experience (which he believes to be extensive) tallies with ACS requirements then I will be deemed gas safe.

I will be on probation, ready for any inspector to look at my work as all new gas technicians have to do.

11. ShaunCorbs

12. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

Not got time to read and reply now. But will do later.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SimonG

SimonG Trusted Plumber Top Contributor!!

To summarise.

Feck off. I'll please myself.

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Harvest Fields

Harvest Fields Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

On an install that is annoying me but will definitely reply later. Sorry.

15. jaydebruyne

jaydebruyne Plumber GSR

Ummmm, I don’t think age is a relevant factor in deciding to change career. If you want to change, change. It’s your life. Do what you want. So you don’t have to take any gas exams? That’s a crock of s**t. But hey, gas safe ‘know’ what they’re doing! Good luck with the change.

• Funny Funny x 2