Search the forum,

Discuss Allergic reaction to flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Over many years I have soldered pipes with either Poweflow or La-Co flux.
In the last year or so I have had spectacular, painful, itching and blistering whenever I do soldering work and it even seems to happen when wearing nitrile fronted, cloth backed gloves now.
Is this a documented thing? It looks the same as images that can be found from poison ivy reactions. I would upload an image, but it's too grim!
Can anyone suggest gloves that can protect against this? Or other fluxes?
Thanks, A

Over many years I have soldered pipes with either Poweflow or La-Co flux.
In the last year or so I have had spectacular, painful, itching and blistering whenever I do soldering work and it even seems to happen when wearing nitrile fronted, cloth backed gloves now.
Is this a documented thing? It looks the same as images that can be found from poison ivy reactions. I would upload an image, but it's too grim!
Can anyone suggest gloves that can protect against this? Or other fluxes?
Thanks, A

Is it flux or the Nitrile? Try a different flux or try a different glove or both? See a dermatologist?

It's not copper oxide itself, is it? From cleaning the old pipes before soldering?
Could be flux. It's nasty stuff. Try another kind, like Fluxite? Probably equally nasty...

Try powder-free vinyl examination gloves, a couple of quid for a box of 100, as a barrier layer under your current gloves.

I would consult a GP or dermatologist before going down the HC or antihistamine route. Anything that works has side-effects that need to be thought through.

I react within 5 mins to a shard of copper anywhere in my hands, fingers or wrist (using roller cutter) ...I just bite it out till it bleeds and roll on so we are all different and lets face it there are loads of chemicals in plumbing and heating when you sit down and fink about it
centralheatking

I saw one flux which doesn't irritates skin and joint looks always shiny,I am interesting for which one it is!I know that is more expensive than typicall.
Any clues?

Reply to Allergic reaction to flux? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock