Discuss Air Admittance Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Driver

We have an air admittance valve on the top of a waste stack outside a first floor a bathroom. The valve is about 50cms above the waste inlet from the toilet. This has been there for 20 years plus and has never been a problem. About a week ago when the toilet was flushed the water rose up the bowl but did drain out quickly. I thought we had a blockage and used a plunger to no avail. Since then I've had 2 plumbers look at it who both used a plunger again to no avail. However the second one took the air admittance valve off the stack and then when the toilet was flushed it emptied as normal.

I have now bought a new valve but the problem remains the same. With the valve off the toilet empties normally, with it on the water rises up the bowl.

Any suggestions anyone.

As snowhead, you have most likely a blockage further down the line.

Are you guy`s saying it`s a full on blockage or a major restriction, If it`s a blockage then where`s all the water going? Not being funny here just wanna know.

5 for a blockage, ive had this same problem about 20 times all on a brand new housing site

When you're removing the AAV your creating positive pressure which in turns flushes since theirs a greater force.

because theirs a blockage theres greater negative pressure than positive thus your toilet is slow flushing/wont flush

Near full on blockage, causing major restriction.
Enough to block initially when a flush occours, but given time the water will pass through the blockage.
The AAV restricts air being displaced from the stack and causes the discharge from the W.C to be part held in the pan. (Removing the AAV allows the discharge to release into the stack but not drain fully away immediately)

The solids will degrade and get flushed through over time, leaving paper to re-enforce the blockage.
In a Domestic little used property, this situation can survive for months and go unnoticed in an olde style fully vented, no AAV system.

In a system with AAV it's noticed far sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air Admittance Valve in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I have had a look at previous posts and think I know the answer to this but just before I make it worse could I just check what you think about...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock