Discuss Air admittance valve test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

iiplumbing

Hi all

Was reading up on the above and have been directed to look at BS EN 12380:2002

But it costs £145.00 (£75 if you are a member) gulp and I don't know if it will actually be suitable for what I want.

The reason I am seeking is because of my new product. I want to test its seal against an acceptable standard without it costing me a bundle. Has anyone got or can get access to this document at all?

Many thanks

Russ

Would the library be able to get it for you if you can't find it online? I think they can order most things in for other libraries.

I thought your gizmo didn't need to meet any standards Russ, sure that is what you told me in no uncertain terms. LOL

Best bet is to try your local FE college or any one you know at uni, as they often have an open licence for BSI they might be able to let you have a look or if really kind get a PDF copy.

Don't know if this works, but $36 here?

[DLMURL="http://go-standard.com/standards/94162-en-12380-2002.html"]EN 12380-2002[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought your gizmo didn't need to meet any standards Russ, sure that is what you told me in no uncertain terms. LOL

Best bet is to try your local FE college or any one you know at uni, as they often have an open licence for BSI they might be able to let you have a look or if really kind get a PDF copy.

Hi Chris

Lol, I know what you mean by that and yes you do have a point up to a point! :dizzy2:

In order to sell my product, all I need is to know that my product meets the regulation requirements and is fit for purpose, it is and it does.

This is because the regulations are not proscriptive, all you have to do is be able to meet the regulation and if challenged to demonstrate that you have.

However, as died in the wool experienced and hairy backsided professional plumbers you lot are not easily convinced and neither should you be. Just "honest Russ" saying it does doesn't necessarily mean it does!

Therefore to "prove" it does what I say it does I need to test it and pass the testing. I don't NEED to I just think from a marketing point of view "you lot" will all be either thinking or asking the same questions so to be able to put the proof on the table makes my job a whole lot more easy.

AS my product is a new invention there is by definition no all encompassing BS standard that I can apply. In fact I cant even find any BS for the manufacture of tundishes let alone one that has a mechanical device.

To my mind you guys will be interested in several things (tell me if I'm wrong)

1/ That it allows the safe and visible discharge of water to a point of discharge, that comprises two parts. a) That the valve opens at trickle volumes to let small quantities of water pass through it
b) That the valve allow a full discharge to pass through without overflowing
2/ That it is made from heat resistant material
3/ This it is manufactured to a standard that means the welds are strong and water tight
4/ That the components used are suitable for this purpose
5/ That there is verifiable and consistency in manufacture to ensure that all products operate within an acceptable tolerance
6/ That the device is proven to stop odours coming back up from the drain

So its the last one that I'm interested in here and although not strictly an air admittance valves per se, the device could perform in a way similar to an air admittance device, so from a professional and technical point of view it would seem prudent and sensible to see what that BS is all about to see if it can be of any use.

Does that seem a sensible and responsible step to take?

Thanks for your input though and yes I will go check the college library, great idea.

Cheers

Russ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Air admittance valve test in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

In the photo there is a grey 32mm push fit elbow between the sink trap and down pipe. I want to replace the elbow with a "male" push fit tee...
Replies
Views
J
Hi, I am installing a new en-suite toilet upstairs in a new location , the soil stack is installed by my builder going downstairs directly and...
Replies
Views
Hello, DIY plumber here, I’m after some advice regarding an AAV, my current one goes though the loft and the roof with a vent on, iv seen on some...
Replies
Views
Hi I want to fit an external air admittance valve to a new stack pipe, see picture. Does anyone have a particular recommendation. Many thanks Paul
Replies
Views
S
Hi All I had an unvented cylinder fitted about 6 years ago. It only supplies hot water to my shower. I was hoping for a much better flow rate from...
Replies
Views
Steveo111
S
Back