Discuss Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

ben_summers

Hi,

I will start by saying hi to all!

I have joined this forum as I am currently in an office job and looking at the going ons around me my job looks to be unsafe, I have thought about learning a skilled trade and like the idea of becoming an plumber, but have had no luck in getting into the trade so....

Anyone have any advice?

I would need to be earning as im learning due to financle circumstances.

Cheers,
Ben.

Hi And welcome to the forum

To be honest and to the point you would be best looking for somthing else as you are wanting to earning as you learning there is slim to no chance of you getting a job in plumbing

sorry but thats how it is at the moment, people are paying ££££££ to learn basic plumbing and still can not get a job

Thats true mate, contrary to what the adverts say...you cant learn a trade and make money at the same time...you learn the trade then make the money....medical students dont get a doctors salary when they are studying so apprentices cant expect a plumbers salary while they are serving their time.

If you want to move into plumbing because you genuinely want to work in the industry then by all means follow it...but in the current economic situation there are a lot of qualified plumbers who cant find work so an unqualified novice (no matter how eager) isnt going to walk into a job.

Sorry if this sounds a bit harsh but I think it is right to give advice to someone moving into the trade. The most important thing is; If you want to learn the trade and be good at what you do then you have to be picky who you learn from, cutting corners is a habit you can fall into if you learn from the wrong person. Some guys geuinely dont know the best way to do things because they have never been taught it. Pick a time-served, dedicated plumber, listen to his advice, ask questions, watch, listen and learn and if you are lucky enough he might be willing to pay you.

Good Luck

I have this afternoon got an interview to learn around my current job, Are you saying that this would be a waste of time?

Do you plan on getting a plumbing qualification from a private provider?
They offer flexible learning, whereby you can still work a 5 day week, and then occasionally take sets of days off for the practical assessments. All the theory is done at home. That will take you anything from 6 months to a couple of years to do (depending how easy it is for you to get time off plus how much free time you have to read plumbing theory!).

Read some of the threads on here about the private training companies, there are lots of contrary views but be careful not to spend a small fortune on the promise of a lucrative career in plumbing.

Ben, I qualified as a plumber 4 years ago and was busy straight away, but things are different now,,,,,,I'm back at Training Centre now doing Gas Ticket and there is a plumbing course running alongside us, 90% of those on the plumbing (6129) course have no definite employment to go to and are on planning working for free for companies to build their experience, the advice above is sound,,,,now is not the time. (The only who have jobs to go to are working for family firms)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock