Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on radiator pipe location in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

I am redoing a bathroom and have stripped out everything except for a new toilet temporarily plumbed in.

Walls are back to the breeze block and brick work. Floor is back to floor board. I plan to tile both the walls and floor.

Walls will either be the marmox type boards or hardie backer board (tanked in shower area). Floor will be probably overboarded with plywood and potentially hardie too.

I have the pipe runs sorted for shower, toilet and basin but now need to adjust the old central heating pipes for a radiator. I will be installing a vertical radiator.

How do I go about working out where the pipes need to go? I have the radiator and valves so know the pipe centres but am not sure of the best approach for planning the distance from the wall.

I can bring the pipes up from the floorboard (like the old installation) or bring them out the wall by channeling into the breeze block. I would prefer to bring them up from the floor ideally; though I can see the advantage of coming out from the wall (determine how high it needs to be and bring out the pipes at the correct centres). If I bring them up from the floor then do I calculate where the final wall will finish (marmox board and adhesive depth plus tile and tile adhesive depth), then calculate depth of radiator (with valve) to wall depth and then plumb in the pipes? Or is there a better way to do it?

Thanks in advance,

Daz

I would either estimate finished wall depth as you have a fair bit of adjustment available on a towel rail fixings but channel the wall will allow you to set the pipes up correctly first time.

Flexi's to a radiator? I hope that's not a serious answer :confused:
well to be honest because my main gaff has been sold for demolition there was not much point in doing things properly, but the cylinder gave up 2 years ago just as we signed the deal,
these deals take ages so I wizzed out got a new cylinder banged it in and I was in a hurry so just joined it all up with flexies ..hot water side and the heating flow and return. guess what ? we are off next week before the 360's come in and demo it but my temp fix /bodge worked fine style for over 2 years Rob Foster aka
centralheatking
I also do know how to do things properly I was gsr, corgi,acops,
acts and certified on medical gas and hydrogen installation

well to be honest because my main gaff has been sold for demolition there was not much point in doing things properly, but the cylinder gave up 2 years ago just as we signed the deal,
these deals take ages so I wizzed out got a new cylinder banged it in and I was in a hurry so just joined it all up with flexies ..hot water side and the heating flow and return. guess what ? we are off next week before the 360's come in and demo it but my temp fix /bodge worked fine style for over 2 years Rob Foster aka
centralheatking
I also do know how to do things properly I was gsr, corgi,acops,
acts and certified on medical gas and hydrogen installation
So if you know how to do things properly why tell op to bodge it? He needs a permanent nice looking finish, not a make do repair until his house is demolished.

Chop the pipes in the wall and bring them out at the rad valve centres something like this. Kop

20180122_132226.jpg

20180816_143424.jpg

20171020_172159.jpg

Thanks for all the advice!!
Lol except for the flexis idea! I certainly won't be doing that!

I will channel them into the wall like the photos King of Pipes has posted. Nice finish!

Many thanks again,

Daz

Thanks for all the advice!!
Lol except for the flexis idea! I certainly won't be doing that!

I will channel them into the wall like the photos King of Pipes has posted. Nice finish!

Many thanks again,

Daz
My flexi idea was tongue in cheek daz...let us have some piccys when your done ...keep in touch we like to get payback for advice, good luck. chking Kop is as he states king

Reply to Advice on radiator pipe location in bathroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
Copper pipes, I think its fair to say, is not what it used to be, the copper is getting thin while the cost is going up. Meanwhile, plastic Pushfit seems to be getting better and better, cost and convenience was always better, but now the quality is to, have we reached a stage where plastic will...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock