Search the forum,

Discuss Advice on £quote received for plumbing a renovation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

buckfast

side elevation.jpgplan view 1st floor.jpgground floor plan view.JPG

Hello,
It is my first post here. I am based in Ireland and am trying to extend a house and do a renovation. Have no friends or family in the plumbing trade, so I really dont have a clue about it. Hoping to contract out the extension and renovation to a builder and I hope people here might be able to advise if I am getting value for money or not, and if you have any other tips about what type of material we should be installing, that'd be great. I have attached drawings of the house.

You might see that

a new condensing boiler is required
- a new hot water cylinder also
- TRVs fitted to all radiators
we are also fitting a solid fuel stove in the living room, with a back boiler
- the hot press is located downstairs, but we couldn't move it upstairs due to lack of space upstairs
- we need two new showers too, one electric and one power using the hot water from the cylinder.

Sorry, was having trouble posting for some reason, I have more to add

Here are the costs quoted in £:

1. Wastes on ground and 1st floor = 400
2. F&R to rads = 100
3. F&R to cylinder = 250
4. Prostel 210L twin coil cylinder = 800
5. Cylinder accessories = 450
6. Plumbing of back boiler = 400
7. Set back boiler into chimney = 400
8. Radiators x15 at 150 each
9. Oil boiler (external, self housed) = 1400
10. Sundry items = 400
11. Sanitary ware (fit only) = 400
12. Zoning of heating = 400
13. Builder work = 400

Last edited by a moderator:
First glance it seems mostly very cheap, although seems a bit strange as materials and labour are separate. Like F&R to radiators £100? What's that - labour? £8050 I make it, which doesn't surprise me. Labour seems low. Depends if all copper job, or plastic also, as labour would be less with some of the work.
You will be paying vat on everything I assume?
Good luck getting a builder involved in plumbing.

Last edited:
As above too cheap for copper so will be plastic and plastic 10mm drops for rads which I don't like

Thanks, that's good to know that it is a good price. Interesting point on copper vs plastic. Cheers. Any other advice?

Thanks, that's good to know that it is a good price. Interesting point on copper vs plastic. Cheers. Any other advice?

Most important is have a really good plumber do the work.
The oil boiler is in my opinion best to be Grant Vortex. (There is a couple of makers I wouldn't use.)
The solid fuel stove will need to be installed to manufacturers instructions, which will normally require a heat leak radiator and thermostic control of pump/cylinder. Usually a pipe stat needs to be fitted AT the cylinder, on the return pipe as it leaves the coil.
Get the house insulated as much as you can afford, because that saves you money for life

Best advice is quality
But what does really good plumber mean
Ive linked loads of systems. It can be very rubbish and can be very good
don't take this the wrong way, you need a proper heating engineer not some upstart with a gas ticket

Best advice is quality
But what does really good plumber mean
Ive linked loads of systems. It can be very rubbish and can be very good
don't take this the wrong way, you need a proper heating engineer not some upstart with a gas ticket

Totally agree. Or an OFTEC qualification. Fairly meaningless unless the plumber has some knowledge and experience and is honest. Link up solid fuel systems aren't in every gas or oil heating engineers knowledge.
Don't let a plumber in a nice new van with plumbing qualifications sign written over it reassure you of his/her ability or willingness to do a good job

Thank again. I was thinking of ditching the electric showers and going for two pumped showers. Never liked the electric showers. Only one concern is during summer, when no heating on to heat hot water, how do people these days deal with this besides turning on the immersion or having solar panels (which are something I really can't afford now)

Are you Northern or Southern Ireland
The rules on solid fuel are not same as uk
The price you have is hard to say what your getting is cheap or dear without knowing what materials they are supplying it's hard to say

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Advice on £quote received for plumbing a renovation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
The fittings below are for a mixer bar attached to a self contained shower. i.e not a wall. The attaching screws have snapped. I could get two new brackets, dismantle that existing one and start again or I could try and re attach via those screws, removing the broken ones from the plate and wall...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock