Posting a message to the forum will remove the above advertisement
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Checkout our Plumbers Insurance area - heavily discounted Public Liability Insurance and Van Insurance specifically designed for plumbers.

Discuss Advice on changing my current old heating and water timer. in the Central Heating Forum area at

  1. Dale harris

    Dale harris New Member


    I am living in a rented house but the central heating and water timer is only a 24hour one, which isnt suitable for my family. I am looking to change this to a modern one and was wondering if anybody can offer advice on if it is a simple job to change. It is a fairly old system with whats called a back boiler i think. I want to change this timer and the thermostat. The thermostat isnt in the best place so i want one that is wireless and can be put in the appropriate room.

    Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Im a novice if you hadnt already guessed. 15343716767021356286802.jpg 1534371788209952935148.jpg

  2. king of pipes

    king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

    Yes it's a pretty straight forward job but you may want to consider upgrading the way your heating and hot water is controlled aswell ie via zone valves I would recommend you contact a local reputable installer . Cheers kop
  3. Harvest Fields

    Harvest Fields S. Mod Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    It’s rented mate. Landlord probably will not pay out for all that to be done.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Gasmk1

    Gasmk1 GSR

    randal 102e is straight swap
  5. Gasmk1

    Gasmk1 GSR

  6. Gasmk1

    Gasmk1 GSR

    new room stat if you are competent at electrics is an easy swap and not too expensive
  7. king of pipes

    king of pipes Trusted Plumber GSR

    You better get the landlords permission before doing anything as Harvest has pointed out you are in a rented property, and if anything was to go wrong you will be in trouble. Kop
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. townfanjon

    townfanjon Trusted Plumber GSR Top Contributor!!

    Yes still available but they are expensive compared to others. But defo talk to the landlord !!!
  9. Dale harris

    Dale harris New Member

    Thanks for the replies everybody. The landlord won't pay for the repairs for definite. We struggle with the basics. I would probably pay for it replaced with his permission because the current system does not work. I was spending over £150 a month in December for gas and electricity with the heating only been on for a few hours a day. The house needs lots of money spending on it. Thanks for the replies once again.
  10. Best

    Best Trusted Plumber

    If the timer does not work properly, it is your landlords responsibility to have it sorted at their expense!
    You could put this in writing to the landlord/agent and if they refuse then I would suggest take the money out of the rent for a reasonable cost of the new parts
  11. Dale harris

    Dale harris New Member

    The timer works but it only has 2 timer options for a 24 hour period which doesn't function is a modern busy life. The thermostat is behind the behind the kitchen door and there is a lot of draught during the winter months so to heat the kitchen the door has to be open which keeps the heating on because of where the thermostat is positioned but in my eyes that is just putting heat straight out of the back door. Last year you could see your breath in the kitchen with the heating on and the door closed. The trouble is the landlord doesn't want to spend money. They have only just fitted a co2 detector which is legally required, we have lived here a year.
  12. Rob Foster

    Rob Foster Top Contributor!!

    oh dear I remember fitting Randall 102 when new :(
    • Funny Funny x 1
Similar Threads - Advice changing current Forum Date
Worcester 24cdi problems, advice please!! Central Heating Forum Wednesday at 9:57 PM
COMBIMATE Dripping any advice Plumbing Forum Tuesday at 6:47 PM