Search the forum,

Discuss ADVICE NEEDED REGARDS TO A POORLY MANHOLE in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi all, I have been battling with my local water authority with some ground movement problems next to a manhole. I have had builder round insists its a drainage issue causing the movement of the ground (water board responsibility). water board say they've been out, cleared the drains and inspected with cctv, they are all fine and the issue is nothing to do with them. I have since lifted the manhole and I am no expert but they look poor and its conceivable that the manhole could be the issue. I would like some opinions from people who know far more than me about drains so I am armed with some correct information when I call the water board.

Attachments

• bottom manhole 1.jpg
    bottom manhole 1.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 35
  • bottom manhole 2 (1).jpg
    bottom manhole 2 (1).jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 34
  • bottom manhole 3.jpg
    bottom manhole 3.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 33
  • bottom manhole 4.jpg
    bottom manhole 4.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 35
  • bottom manhole close up.jpg
    bottom manhole close up.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 32
  • bricks in hole.jpg
    bricks in hole.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Drain 1.jpg
    Drain 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 31
You really need on site advice from a decent local plumber. There are a number of issues in your photographs that need addressing.

The starting point is : The blue MDPE water pipe needs to be relocated to be a minimum distance of 350mm from the outer diameter of the sewer pipe.

Is there a second services pipe / duct running adjactent to the blue water pipe? If so, what is it?

In view of the available working space (from your photos), it may be easier to relay both the sewer and the water line at the same time with new manhole access points.

You really need on site advice from a decent local plumber. There are a number of issues in your photographs that need addressing.

The starting point is : The blue MDPE water pipe needs to be relocated to be a minimum distance of 350mm from the outer diameter of the sewer pipe.

In view of the available working space (from your photos), it may be easier to relay both the sewer and the water line at the same time with new manhole access points.
I can't believe someone put a water main in there :eek:

The water board did the inspection themselves and have said that they have lifted both manholes at the top and bottom of the alleyway inspected them and put cctv down there and they are happy with them, nothing needs addressing and I need to sort the sinking path up the alley myself. Is it a water regs contravention having the pipe inside the manhole? I am not sure what the other pipe / service is and have little inclination to find out in all honesty. My concern is the ground is going somewhere creating a void under the alleyway making the paving collapse and its becoming dangerous to residents who use it. Its a shared main feeding 4 houses but I cant see how it could be laid at least 350mm away from the manhole.
[automerge]1589491150[/automerge]
They also supposedly cleared the manhole but it looks half full with debris to me. It looks like the pipework is missing something at the bottom or is piped in a usual manor? Am I correct in thinking all of the brickwork should be sound and pointed up well with no holes or earth from around the manhole can get in there and subsequently cause a path to collapse

SRC

Look at the WRAS website, it gives good practical advice on separation of services et al.

In reality the second service line is either gas or electricity. If it is telecoms, that is fine - but to me it looks too large a diameter to be that.

Neither power or gas can run within a sewer line

I have spoken with WRAS directly and the conversation went something like this.

I explained the scenario
They said there is nothing in the regulations stating you can not do it
I said so its fine to run mains water pipe through a sewer/manhole
They said now I did not say that did I.

Banging my head against a brick wall everywhere I turn

To protect yourself, I would advise that you call the person you spoke to a WRAS back and ask them to confirm it to you in writing.

The Water Supply (Water Quality) Regulations which are imposed on the Water Supply Company are quite onerous. Most water supply companies insist that the water supply line is separated from the foul sewer and they often state other utilities by a minimum of 350mm to “ prevent pipework being penetrated by fluids or natural gases”.

Reply to ADVICE NEEDED REGARDS TO A POORLY MANHOLE in the USA area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all Noticed bad smell in my drain out side put my hand down and it unclogged it for now however I checked my sewer drain and after flushing my toilet a good few times nothing is going to the sewer so don't know is there a blockage or what way it works many thanks and advice would be grateful
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock