Discuss Advice for going self employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Invest in Gas engineer sofware or similar it generates all your certs, invoices and quotes, it saves time and money and is deductible.

I had the van debate when i went self employed, and went for a cheaper but well looked after tidy Hiace, my customers told me it was the man not the van that they were interested in. Dont be afriad to call tech support on boiler breakdowns it's there job to help you. If i was unfamiliar with a boiler issue I found this place has some absolute stars as well.

Good luck

Agree with above, on breakdowns i do my best with the servicing manuals which i keep on my laptop (easier to read than using a phone) but probably call tech support a couple of times a year as i hate changing parts at random with the hope it fixes it.
Vans can be a huge overhead so would not recommend a nice new shiny van on finance at the outset, get established first.
Gas safe application for your new company and insurance to get you going , build up contacts for future work and consider subbing for the first year or two.
You wont regret it, i think, i could not be an employee again. BUT sometimes when your phone rings 22 times a day (like Monday for me)and you are trying to get a job done, you do sometimes reminisce about the good old days... lol :)

Thanks for all the replies so far guys, really appreciate it.

I had thought about a card reader, avoids the "I haven't been to the bank yet, can I pay you next week" . Do any of you find getting paid a struggle? Again it's something I've had mixed opinions on, some do some dont. Do any of your require deposits for expensive jobs?

I like the idea of buying bonds with tax money. Keeps it safe so I definitely can't spend it so thanks for that.

What do you guys do regarding vat, should I register straight away or see how things go, there's probably pros and cons either way.

Regarding accountants, do you lot try keep on top of everything week by week or just save everything and give it to your accountant to sort at the end of the year?

Re the van. It is a dillema. I would say not to go overboard initially. Six months or so into SE may be necessary before you can make a valid decision on the type/size of van. Buying a brand new or leased van will ensure you are stuck with the, possibly wrong, vehicle.

Card readers are great ( tried Paypal but now use sumup ) , I think you can usually get a gauge on someone and if they seem a bit off, I tend to bring up "oh, ill be done fairly soon, by the way how would like to pay ? " at which point you can tell what sort of customer they going to be. To be fair 99% seem pretty reasonable and pleased you're there sorting out whatever issue they have. You always get the odd one, if I doubt someone I'll not issue the certificates for example, or until i've established how I'm paid, I wont quite finish the job as I need to go get that part etc, but thats incredibly rare, (maybye I've been lucky). I try and keep my paperwork in order weekly, should be daily really and then let my accountant deal with it at the end of the year, the better organised the more relieved they are and cheaper it is for you as well as knowing where you are financially. As for Vat registration, I wouldnt bother untill you know how its going to work, although you'll need to keep an eye on your turnover before you hit the threshold. Theres a lot of hidden expense and time spent that you need to account for, so make sure you price accordingly. Better to not get the job than end up paying for it. As for deposits, I prefer not unless its a really big job, but if im unsure of the client then I like to cover costs. ( time to develop the spider senses )

Re your accountant, speaking as an ex auditor who does a bit of bookkeeping to help a couple of mates out, if you just dump a bin bag of paperwork on your accountant once a year (it happens a lot) it will cost you a lot more to get your books done than if you keep on top of it and keep it organised.

Regarding being paid on time, yes can be .bit of a struggle sometimes, often not due to malice but they will forget to have gone to the bank, forget to do bank transfer when they said they would... If you can get a card reader without it eating up too much of your margins it might not be a bad idea as it's one less excuse, iirc there are some pretty affordable options out there now card reader wise but as always you need to do you research carefully & read the small print.

Regarding VAT I'd personally wait until you are over the threshold, yes you can get back VAT on tools/materials but you also have to charge it on your revenue. Especially if you make a mark up on materials (which you should) you will pay more than you save. It will also considerably increase your bookkeeping/accountants cost and generally make like more complicated than needed in your first year or two which imo is not a great idea.

Regarding deposits, if it's more than a couple days work I always require materials (+mark up) up front, if it's a week or more I also ask for 25% deposit and sometimes do a schedule with a payment part way through on the longer jobs.

Also remember your first your tax wise if you will almost certainly have to make a payment on account ehich is a double whammy but that nets out after initial tax bill.

Regarding VAT I'd personally wait until you are over the threshold, yes you can get back VAT on tools/materials but you also have to charge it on your revenue.

BUT be very aware that HMRC can decide which 12 months they want to measure your revenue over.

I was chatting to a GSR the other day, SE for about a year, got 1 staff member and isn't VAT registered ........... how he can keep below the £84K revenue is beyond me......

BUT be very aware that HMRC can decide which 12 months they want to measure your revenue over.

I was chatting to a GSR the other day, SE for about a year, got 1 staff member and isn't VAT registered .. how he can keep below the £84K revenue is beyond me....
depends how he bills he may well get the customer to pay for materials so he only bills labour,

Reply to Advice for going self employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock