Discuss Advice for going self employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

A

Aire

Hi everyone, as the title says I'm looking at going self employed, I'm 31 and worked for 2 companies over the past 14 years so feel it's time for me to take control and be my own boss.

Naturally I'm little nervous about what to expect and my biggest worry is keeping the work coming in. Most people I've told have all given me positive feedback and said they'd throw work my way so that's a good start.

I'm going to give myself around 6 months to get everything sorted, some of the stuff I use like gas analyser, core drill etc is supplied by the company so I would need to get my own, I've currently got the sprint evo 2 which I like, would there be any benefit to upgrading to the evo 3 or pro?

What do you advise regarding vans? I've had mixed responses, get a cheap van that could spend more time off than on the road Or spend more with the hope that customers won't be an issue and the van will pay for itself.

I'm also concerned about my lack of servicing and repair experience, my back ground is predominantly boiler/heating and bathroom installations so when things have failed it's been manufacturers who have done the repairs, not myself.

There's probably loads of questions I could ask but is be writing all night, I would appreciate any advice you guys could give me, things you've learned since you set up, things you wish you'd done differently, any help would be great.

Many thanks

Give 100 % commitment on everything you do and you will be successful.

Work your arse off , but be clever also .

Dont moan when someone calls you on a Sunday.

Good luck .

Thanks For the reply, to be fair I get called most weekends anyway, the construction firm I work for only has one plumber (me) so I'm always offered overtime and callouts etc. I'm certainly not work shy.

Going SE means working 7 days a week .... there is always admin to do, customer visits, invoices, stock to order .......

And you need a business account with plenty of cash in it before to take the plunge .....

Keep ALL receipts .... and let your accountant deal with HMRC ....

If you do your best at all times the work will come in. Follow your gut instinct. Don't take on too much. Always be confident but honest in front of the customer. Learn to say no. Get a decent van, you can't afford not to be without it. Don't lend stuff. Don't do favours, you never get them back or when you do there value has gone down. Get good insurance, that way you should never need it. Just go for it.

Without fail put 20% of everything you earn away, never ever be tempted to dip into the pot. In that way you will always have the money to pay your tax.

Look around at different business accounts some banks are offering free banking for a year or more. (just moved to co-op from HSh!tBC)

Get in place a set of T&C's, get a card machine & take payment on completion.

Without fail put 20% of everything you earn away, never ever be tempted to dip into the pot. In that way you will always have the money to pay your tax.

100% agree

I buy premium bonds every month ........... then get the money out when my tax bill arrives!

And yes I do get winnings ........... never big so far but you never know!

Reply to Advice for going self employed. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

A
Hi all I'm a limited company that's been running for 12 years and I have a lot of ongoing work, 99% commercial, and a lot of it plumbing, in...
Replies
Views
I'm looking for a commercial gas engineer to assist with servicing, callouts etc. work is mostly london based but also have sites in kent/essex...
Replies
Views
Neil Ambrose
N
I have approx 2 weeks work in kingston i need a qualified plumber to assist me with starting on the 30th may. must be self employed, own tools...
Replies
Views
I’m finding it hard breaking into the industry. I’m a trainee plumber living in London Hello, I'm a trainee plumber who lives in London who's...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock