Search the forum,

Discuss Acrylic Bath Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mani

Hi all,

I have a acrylic bath, i have checked all pipework no leaks. When we have a bath we get water coming through ceiling below in the kitchen.

I have been told this is common on acrylic baths, is there any tips you can give me. Or would it be better to replace with a steel bath, would that solve the problem.
Thanks for sharing your experience and knowledge with us.
mani

It's only common in acrylic baths where they haven't been fitted properly or the seal has broken down. Is it a showerbath? If so water is probably running down the back of the bath if the seal has failed.

Thanks for your reply WHPES, it's not a shower bath. The water is running down to the right of the bath and making it's way down to the kitchen below.
I have bought the expensive sealants to cure this but without any joy, the water still finds it's way down. i have filled the bath with water then put the silicone on leaving it for 24 hours, then take water out and apply more silicone on top but still water coming through ceiling.

Hi there,

If if is for showering and bathing you may have a hair line crack in the bath body? You mention you have checked the pipework does that mean you have also checked the trap and associated waste pipework?

Worth having having a look. P.S. Hairline cracks are very hard to see so may be better off looking at the underside if you can get there.

Hi,
Yes i have takem this bath out and checked underside too. I have had bath panels off and have had the bath full, i observe for leaks nothing happens no leaks.
It's when we have a bath it's starts leaking from the side of the wall. I just can't get it to stop, before this we had a steel bath we never had problems with that.

are there any water marks on the wall so you can try and determine what height the leak could be starting at - this may give you an indication as to where the problem may be?

Not a solution but defo a start?

Yes it's all the wall below the bath height, i suspect it's coming from the sides. as all the copper and waste pipes are dry.

in all afirness then you could mess around trying to patch this up or get yourself a nice new bath - thats what I would do:)

Could be when you are in the bath the water level rises and water starts dripping from the bath handles? They will leak if not fitted correctly,

If there's no shower above it then it will either be leaking from the bath handles or a hairline crack in the bath itself.

I have had this problem before sounds like silicone is being put on with no bath water in the bath. Alot of people don't know this but silicone is supposed to be put on with at least half a bath full of water in it. Acrylic baths especially recoil out of their frame slightly with no bath water in it because they are light. Steel baths are heavy anyway so they sit nice and snug in their frame even without water in them.
When siliconing you have to allow for this movement otherwise seal breaks very quickly and is only obvious when someone is in the bath and splashing water around. Water runs between seal and bath and all down the wall. So try siliconing with water in the bath. And use a top quality silicone like 785 Dow Corning or one recommended by decent plumbers merchant there are alot of cheap silicones around that have no flexibility in them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could you not take the bath panels off then fill the bath get someone to stand in it and see what happens?

agree with many of the posts if not installed correctly i.e additional frame work battens etc these baths are prone to movement normally standard acryllic baths come in two thicknesses 5mm and 8mm and both will move if not supported properly and of course water will always find the easiet way out last thought have you checked bath overflow? regards turnpin:)

I have filled the bath, then put silicone on it, left the silicone for 48 hours with water still in, then drained all water out, put more silicone on in an empty bath, left this on 48 hours, but still getting water down the side.

Try the overflow as turnpin said is there a rubber seal on it? or is it just plastic against acrylic if so it needs a seal. (its about the size of a bottom of a cup)

Which wall is it pouring down and also which silicone have you been using. Brand name please

Last edited by a moderator:
The water is pouring down just below the tiles and the edge of the bath from the right side where it is touching the wall. The silicone i have used is willbond.
I have alsp spoken to a plumber today, he has told me to put a wooden strip accross the edge of the bath and support the edge that way, and then it will stop the water from going down.
Your thoughts on this please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Acrylic Bath Leak in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock